Managing signatures in email conversations
CodeTwo Email Signatures for Office 365 allows you to manage how signatures will be added to your correspondence. Using the drop-down list available on the Design tab (Fig. 1.), you can:
- add the same signature to every email,
- add a different signature to the first email and a different one to subsequent emails,
- add a signature only to the first email in a conversation,
- use a custom setup, with additional options.
If you select the first (default) setting (Fig. 2.), the signature that you create for a given signature rule will be added to every email that triggers this rule.
This option allows you to prepare two separate signatures:
- the first signature will be added to the first email of an Office 365 user or to the first reply of this user in an email conversation;
- the second signature will be added to future emails this user sends in the same conversation.
Each signature is designed on a separate tab (see Fig. 3.).
Example of use
You would like to have a complex, sophisticated signature with all the contact details, social links, etc. Such a signature, however, might unnecessarily increase the length of your email conversations. To avoid this, you need to design the advanced signature on the First signature tab. And then use the Subsequent signatures tab to prepare a second, simpler signature with only basic contact information. Thanks to this configuration, your complex signature will appear only once in a given conversation: in your first message or reply.
If you choose this option, the program will add the signature only to the first email/reply of a given user in a conversation (if this user triggers the associated signature rule). For example, if someone sends you an email and you reply for the first time, your signature will be added, but your next replies in this thread will have no signatures.
This option lets you manually configure how you want your signature to be added into conversations. The custom options will be available in the signature editor - you can access it by clicking Edit signature (Fig. 4.).
In the custom setup mode the editor features an additional advanced options () button in the upper-right corner of the signature/disclaimer section. If you click it, the Signature/disclaimer options window will open (Fig. 5.).
Here, you can decide what to do with your signatures in conversations:
- add the signature/disclaimer to every email - this setting corresponds to this option;
- add the signature/disclaimer to the first email only (do not add it to subsequent emails);
- add the signature/disclaimer only when the first email is sent and remove it from the conversation when subsequent emails are sent - this setting corresponds to this option;
- add the signature/disclaimer to every email, but remove its previous occurrences in the conversation - with this setting, only your latest message/reply in a conversation will have your signature. This will keep your conversation threads clean.