Managing signatures in email conversations
This article applies to server-side signatures only. Client-side signatures are accessed from Outlook and Outlook users themselves decide when to use these signatures and where they should be placed in an email thread.
The Manage Signatures App allows you to control how signatures are added to your correspondence. By using the drop-down list available on the Design tab (Fig. 1.), you can:
- add the same signature to every email,
- add a different signature to the first email and a different one to subsequent emails,
- add a signature only to the first email in a conversation,
- use a custom setup, with additional options (e.g. to remove previous signatures from a conversation or change the signature's position).
In general, these options allow you to decide when and where a signature is added. By default, a signature is added to every email that meets the associated rule's conditions, and is inserted directly under your latest response in an email conversation thread. In this article you will learn how to change that.
If you select the first (default) setting - The same signature in every email - from the drop-down menu (see Fig. 1.), a signature template that you created for a given signature rule will be added to every email that triggers this rule.
This means that in an email conversation the signature will be added to every message that meets the rule's conditions (Fig. 2.).
The second option - Different signature in the first email and different in subsequent emails - allows you to prepare two separate signature templates:
- the first signature will be added only to the first email of an Office 365 user or to the first reply of this user in an email conversation;
- the second signature will be added to next emails/replies this user sends in the same conversation.
Each signature template needs to be designed on a separate tab (Fig. 3.).
A sample email conversation thread is shown in Fig. 4. Note that signatures are added right under each reply.
Example of use
You want to have a complex, sophisticated signature with all your contact details, social links, etc. Such a signature, however, might unnecessarily increase the length of email conversations. To avoid this, you can design the extended signature on the First signature tab, and then use the Subsequent signatures tab to prepare another, simpler signature with only basic contact information. Thanks to this configuration, your extended signature will appear only once in a given conversation - in your first reply message.
If you choose Signature in the first email only from the drop-down menu (see Fig. 1.), the program will add a signature only to the first reply of a user in a conversation (if this user triggers the associated signature rule). For example, if someone sends you an email and you reply to it for the first time, your signature will be added (directly under the reply), but your next replies in this thread will have no signatures. Fig. 5. shows a sample email conversation thread when the Signature in the first email only option is selected.
The Custom setup option (Fig. 6.) lets you manually configure how you want your signature to be added to email conversations. The custom options are available in the signature template editor - you can access it by clicking Edit signature in the custom setup mode (see Fig. 6.).
The additional options are available when you click the settings () button in the upper-right corner of your email section (Fig. 7.). You can also access them from the Section settings group on the Email layout tab (note that the available buttons depend on the email sections your template contains - see this article to learn more).
The first four options allow you to decide when your signature (or other email section if you have it) is added to email conversations:
- Add the [signature] to every email - this setting matches the first option on the Design tab.
- Add the [signature] to the first email only (do not add it to subsequent emails) - this setting corresponds to the third option on the Design tab.
- Add the [signature] only when the first email is sent and remove it from an email conversation when subsequent emails are sent - if you select this option, the program adds a signature only to the first message/reply of a user in a conversation. If this user sends any further reply in the same thread, the program removes the signature from the conversation.
- Add the [signature] to every email but remove its previous occurrences in an email conversation - with this setting, only the latest message/reply of a given user in a conversation will have a signature. This helps to keep conversation threads clean.
For more information on these settings, see the manual of the CodeTwo Signature template editor.
right under the latest reply/forward message (default setting) - whenever a signature is added by the software, it is inserted directly under the body section of your latest message (see figures above for reference).
at the very bottom of an email conversation: if you choose this option, the program adds your signature to the very bottom of the conversation thread.
The signature position settings can also be managed in the Signature position group on the Email layout tab. You can learn more about these options in the editor's manual.