How to update or upgrade and what is the difference
The program version is always visible at the very top of the main window of the program. It consists of 4 numbers separated by dots, e.g. 22.214.171.1247, following the pattern below:
which mean the following:
- [major] - the first figure is the major version number and it changes rarely, only when significant features are introduced to the software.
- [minor] - the second digit changes every time when we release a new version with planned improvements (this usually happens every quarter, see version history).
- [maintenance] - the digit in the third position will change only when there is a software release that was not originally planned. This usually happens when an important bugfix must be added and cannot wait for the next minor version change.
- [build] - the last number changes automatically every time programmers compile a new build during the development cycle, so it might be quite big (e.g. 337) and is usually meaningless for the end-user.
An upgrade is when you install a newer version of the software, replacing the previous version you have had installed so far, and the newer version installer has a higher first figure of the version number e.g. you currently have version 126.96.36.1997 installed and you replace it with version 188.8.131.52.
Upgrades are typically not free but in most cases purchasing an upgrade is much cheaper than buying a new license key. Before upgrading, consult with CodeTwo Support to confirm your upgrade eligibility or purchase options.
How to upgrade
To learn how to upgrade from version 1.x to 2.x, see this article.
An update is when you install a newer version of the software, replacing the previous version you have had installed so far, and the newer version installer has a higher second, third or fourth figure of the version number e.g. you currently have version 184.108.40.206 installed and you replace it with version 220.127.116.117 (or update 18.104.22.1683 to 22.214.171.124, or update 126.96.36.1992 to 188.8.131.520).
All updates within the same major version are free for licensed users.
- Download the installer from the CodeTwo download page onto the machine where CodeTwo software is installed.
- Before you proceed, close the Administration Panel of CodeTwo Exchange Rules Pro on this machine.
- Launch the downloaded installer and install the program.
- If you have more instances of the program in your environment, perform the update on each machine (both clients and servers) where CodeTwo Exchange Rules Pro is installed.
- After the update process is complete, you can launch the Administration Panel again. All of your settings and rules are retained.
Be aware, as per the upgrade rules described above, you can only update for free within the same major version. Therefore, be careful to download the appropriate installer:
Migration is when you move from CodeTwo Exchange Rules to CodeTwo Exchange Rules Pro. Migration is not free. Before doing that, contact CodeTwo Support to discuss prices.
How to migrate
If you are using the current version of CodeTwo Exchange Rules, see this article to learn about the migration procedure.
Older versions users must upgrade their standard CodeTwo Exchange Rules to the newest version available before migrating to the Pro version. Consult with CodeTwo Support if in doubt.