Integration with Google Analytics
Integration of CodeTwo Exchange Rules Pro and Google Analytics makes it possible to track email signature campaigns and evaluate their effectiveness (Fig. 1.):
Follow the steps below to insert URLs with Google Analytics tags to your emails in CodeTwo Exchange Rules Pro by using a built-in WYSIWYG editor.
URL tags available in Google Analytics
You can get detailed data on your email signature marketing campaigns if you use dedicated URL parameters in links. There are 5 Google Analytics URL parameters that you can add to the links placed in email signatures:
- utm_campaign (required) – used to identify a specific product promotion or campaign. Example: spring_sale
- utm_source (optional) – used to identify the source of traffic, e.g. a search engine, email signature, newsletter name, or other sources. Example: footer
- utm_medium (optional) – used to identify a marketing medium, such as email or cost-per-click. Example: email
- utm_content (optional) – used for A/B testing of ads. Use utm_content to differentiate ads or links that point to the same URL. Examples: logolink or textlink
- utm_term (optional) – used mostly for paid search to note the keywords for this ad. Example: running+shoes
To find out more about Google Analytics URL parameters, please refer to Google’s documentation.
How to tag links in email signatures with Google Analytics tracking parameters
- Go to the Actions tab and either load your signature template or create a new signature from scratch. Either way, click Edit (Fig. 2.).
- Click your banner to select it, and then click the Link button on the ribbon (Fig. 3.). If you don’t have any graphics inserted yet, use the Picture button to do so.
- In the resulting window, click Show email tracking parameters to display more options. Next, choose Google Analytics from the Tracking tool drop-down menu (Fig. 4.).
- Fill in all the necessary fields with appropriate Google Analytics tracking parameters (Fig. 5.). Typically, campaign name, source, and medium (email) are enough to track results in Google Analytics. The URL address field is updated automatically as you provide the necessary parameters.
- Click OK. This will insert the tagged URL to your signature.
View the results of your campaigns in Google Analytics
If you tag your links properly, after some time you will be able to see the results of the email signature marketing campaign in Google Analytics reports. To see the report, log in to your Google Analytics account and navigate to Acquisition > Campaigns > All Campaigns in the left pane of the interface (Fig. 6.).
As you can see on the sample report shown below (Fig. 7.), you can track many things, e.g. the number of visits, number and value of goal completions, e-commerce transactions, etc.
You can also compare the results for different campaigns of banners to find out what works best.
To read more about tracking links from email signatures in Google Analytics, please refer to this article.
Google Analytics lets you analyze results of your campaigns in many ways by using both standard and custom reports. You should always focus your analysis on the goals and objectives of your campaign. Learn more at Google Analytics Academy.