Frequently Asked Questions - CodeTwo Office 365 Migration
Take a look at the list of Frequently Asked Questions for CodeTwo Office 365 Migration:
- Why do I need this program?
Using CodeTwo Office 365 Migration you will significantly reduce the time required to successfully move the content of mailboxes from Exchange or mail from IMAP servers to Office 365. The main benefits of this migration tool are:
- Easy to use graphical interface minimizes the need for PowerShell scripts.
- Direct mailbox migrations from any Exchange edition (including 2003) to Office 365, eliminating the need for upgrades, hybrid deployments, etc.
- Migrations between Office 365 tenants.
- Enhanced IMAP migrations to Office 365. Learn more...
- Convenient reporting features facilitate troubleshooting.
See a full comparison of CodeTwo Office 365 Migration and Office 365 native migration tools.
- Is there a free trial? What are the limitations?
Yes, there is. You can download the free trial version here.
The trial works for 30 days and allows you to migrate up to 10 items per folder (after you switch to the full version, CodeTwo Office 365 Migration will migrate the remaining items). Other than that it has all the features of the full version of the program.
- How does the CodeTwo Office 365 Migration solution work?
Migrations from Exchange Server are achieved by connecting to source server(s) via a dedicated MAPI or Exchange Web Services (EWS) profile (depending on the source server) and to the destination server(s) via EWS. This way CodeTwo Office 365 Migration can read the contents of mailboxes on your source server and copy them to mailboxes in Microsoft's Cloud.
To perform migrations via IMAP, the application connects to source server accounts similarly to an email client (source account credentials are required) and copies emails to target server mailboxes. Learn more about IMAP migrations...
All you have to do to prepare the migration is create target mailboxes (or configure CodeTwo Office 365 Migration to create and activate mailboxes for you) and make sure the account you will use to migrate mailboxes has the required permissions. If it does not, the program will help you assign them.
- Can I migrate mailboxes between two different Office 365 tenants?
Yes, you can. CodeTwo Office 365 Migration enables an easy migration from one Office 365 tenant to another, which can come in handy e.g. in the case of company mergers.
- Are migrations from IMAP servers supported?
Yes, using CodeTwo Office 365 Migration you can replicate email from servers such as G Suite (Google Apps), Zarafa, IBM Notes (Lotus Notes), etc., to Exchange Online. The application lets you customize and manage more aspects of IMAP migrations than using Microsoft's native tools. Learn more...
There are several limitations related to using the IMAP protocol. They include migrations being limited to only email folders and the requirement to provide credentials to all user accounts that will be migrated. To learn more about IMAP migrations go to this user guide page.
- Are migrations from hosted Exchange supported?
Yes, provided that IMAP4 is enabled on the source Exchange Server.
Thanks to IMAP migration, you can migrate emails from hosted (e.g. Rackspace) or the other limited-access Exchange Servers. Learn more...
- Can the program migrate encrypted emails?
The program can migrate encrypted emails but they will be moved as regular emails, so they will not be encrypted on the target server. The encryption configuration is not migrated and it needs to be set up once migration is finished. All emails will be recreated on the destination server and look exactly as those on the source server.
- Does CodeTwo Office 365 Migration support organizations synced using Azure AD Connect or other directory sync tools?
Yes, the software supports migration from and to a hybrid environment. Learn more...
- Can the program migrate all languages?
Yes. Content language does not affect the migration process. CodeTwo Office 365 Migration can move any item including all special characters, regardless of the language on the source and the target server. Learn more in the user’s manual.
- What type of support do you offer for the product?
Technical support for CodeTwo Office 365 Migration is free of charge and covers all types of issues. You can contact our technicians via email or phone, 24 hours from Monday through Friday (find out more about CodeTwo support). Complex issues are resolved via remote sessions.
All technical documentation for CodeTwo Office 365 Migration is available online:
- What is CodeTwo Office 365 Migration's licensing policy?
The product is licensed through use - each mailbox you start migrating automatically uses up 1 seat from your license pool.
In other words, if you had a 100-mailbox license and started migrating 60 mailboxes, your license would still allow you to migrate, for example, 40 mailboxes to Office 365.
What is more, the licensing model lets you install the software in any number of source environments. If you use the same license, each migrated mailbox subtracts from the same, common license pool.
- What if I already have a license and need extra seats?
You can purchase extra seats by going to the online order form, selecting Additional licenses and proceeding to complete the order.
NOTE: In the 3rd step of the online order form you will be asked to provide the first 5 characters of the license key you wish to expand.
If you received your CodeTwo Office 365 Migration license free of charge and now want to add seats to it, please contact our sales team for assistance.
- What type of data can be migrated?
To learn more on what type of data is supported for migration, see this user's manual.
- Do I have to install the program on a server?
No, you don't. You can install CodeTwo Office 365 Migration on any machine connected to the source organization or on a cloud-hosted virtual machine (like Microsoft Azure Virtual Machine).
- Does CodeTwo Office 365 Migration impose any size or speed limits?
No, our software does not introduce any new limits on a migration to the Cloud.
However, keep in mind that Office 365 comes with a number of built-in limitations for EWS migrations. The main ones are:
- 25 MB per-item limit - this means that items larger than 25MB will be skipped during a migration. However, you can change this limit up to 150 MB – learn more in this Knowledge Base article.
- Resource health-based throttling - present in cases of service availability issues.
Other factors that may affect the migration performance:
- Source server throttling policies and limitations. Learn how to modify Exchange Server throttling settings.
- Data type and density (e.g. a mailbox with a smaller number of large items will migrate faster than one with a larger number of small items).
- Migration server hardware.
- Source organization network.
For more, consult this Microsoft article.
- What is the migration speed?
A single EWS migration speed observed by Microsoft was between 0,2 and 0,5 GB per hour. However, it is possible to achieve higher migration speeds by increasing the number of concurrent migrations.
NOTE: CodeTwo Office 365 Migration does not increase or decrease the standard speed of an EWS migration.
- How do I prepare for the migration?
For details on migration requirements and pre-migration steps go to this userguide page and choose your migration scenario.
- Does CodeTwo Office 365 Migration support multi-factor authentication?
Yes, CodeTwo Office 365 Migration supports multi-factor authentication enabled on Office 365 accounts. If you use the MFA enabled admin account to connect the program to your Office 365 tenant, you need to use the app password instead of the regular Office 365 password.
- Does CodeTwo Office 365 Migration automatically create target users and mailboxes?
Yes, it does. The process is performed based on source organization data and can be fully customized.
- Can I define criteria based on which source and target mailboxes will be auto-matched?
Yes, you can. Apart from predefined matching patterns, you can also create your own ones.
- Does CodeTwo Office 365 Migration migrate public folders?
Yes, it does. The migration mechanism is exactly the same as in the case of personal mailboxes: our software replicates the public folder structure and contents from the source server to the Cloud. However, since public folders cannot exist in Office 365 and in on-premises Exchange server simultaneously, migrating them within hybrid environments is not possible.
NOTE: The public folders in Office 365 have to be mail enabled and activated prior to the migration, e.g. by sending an email to them. Additionally, bear in mind that migrating public folders reduces your CodeTwo Office 365 Migration license by 25 users.
- Is the free/busy info migrated as well?
Free/busy statuses are generated on the fly by the Exchange Availability Service based on users' calendar information. This means that, after CodeTwo Office 365 Migration copies your users' calendars to Microsoft's cloud, the Office 365 engine will take care of the rest.
- Does CodeTwo Office 365 Migration affect data on the source server?
No, it doesn't. The application only reads source server data and copies it to your Office 365 organization - nothing is deleted or modified on your source server.
- I want my users to still use source mailboxes after they have been migrated - can they do that?
Yes, they can. The contents of the source mailboxes are not affected in any way, so your users can use these mailboxes indefinitely without any limitations.
What is more, if after a while you decide to retire the on-premises server, just hit the Rescan button - CodeTwo Office 365 Migration will compare the contents of source and target mailboxes and update the target server side.
- What do I do if I get an error...?
Consult this Knowledge Base article for troubleshooting steps.
If none of the suggestions from the article help, contact our Technical Support team.
For general technical information about CodeTwo Office 365 Migration refer to the User's Manual.
Answers to common queries can be found in the Knowledge Base.
- How to upgrade to version 3.0?
To upgrade CodeTwo Office 365 Migration to version 3.0, you need to follow the steps specified in this article