Changing the connection speed limit
How to change the connection speed limit (Exchange throttling settings).
Exchange Online (Office 365)
As of December 2014, it is not possible to modify throttling policies on your own in Exchange Online. Originally, this was possible via the PowerShell remote connection. However, Microsoft removed throttling-related cmdlets from the Exchange Online shell some time ago. If you need to modify your Office 365 throttling settings, contact Microsoft support (Office 365 business support details) to discuss this.
Solution for MS Exchange Server 2010/2013/2016:
When using CodeTwo Exchange Migration, the migration speed depends, among other things, on the target Exchange Web Services (EWS) throttling settings.
Also, the CodeTwo Backup software connection speed may depend on the settings described below. However, these instructions will most likely be helpful if you previously configured some customized, strict throttling policies. CodeTwo Backup users should also take a look at our article explaining the backup speed factors.
To make sure your target server's EWS throttling policy is not a bottleneck in your migration/backup, follow the steps below to create a new, unlimited throttling policy and assign it to the account used by the CodeTwo software:
- Open the Exchange Management Shell (EMS) on the target server.
- Execute the following cmdlet to check your current throttling policies:
Get-ThrottlingPolicy | fl
- Create a new throttling policy:
- Reconfigure the new policy settings in a way that does not limit the migration.
- Exchange Server 2010:
Set-ThrottlingPolicy CodeTwoPolicy -RCAMaxConcurrency $null -EWSMaxConcurrency $null -EWSMaxSubscriptions $null -CPAMaxConcurrency $null
Read more about changing throttling policies in Exchange 2010 on TechNet.
- Exchange Server 2013/2016:
Set-ThrottlingPolicy CodeTwoPolicy -RCAMaxConcurrency Unlimited -EWSMaxConcurrency Unlimited -EWSMaxSubscriptions Unlimited -CPAMaxConcurrency Unlimited -EwsCutoffBalance Unlimited -EwsMaxBurst Unlimited -EwsRechargeRate Unlimited
- Exchange Server 2010:
- Change <mailbox name> to the one used by the CodeTwo software and execute the following cmdlet to assign the newly created policy to that mailbox:
Set-Mailbox "<mailbox name>" -ThrottlingPolicy CodeTwoPolicyIf the software still reports errors related to the inaccessibility of Exchange, consider assigning the policy to all the mailboxes in your organization:
Set-ThrottlingPolicy "CodeTwoPolicy" -ThrottlingPolicyScope Organization
Changes in throttling policies are applied immediately.
- EWS throttling in Exchange 2013/2016
- Exchange Online Limits
- Message Size Limits in Exchange 2013
- Message Throttling in Exchange 2013
- Message Size Limits in Exchange 2016
- Message Throttling in Exchange 2016
- Set-ThrottlingPolicy parameters description