How to update or upgrade and what is the difference
The version number
The program's version is always visible on the title bar of the main window of the program. It consists of 4 numbers separated by dots, e.g. 126.96.36.199. The version number uses the following pattern:
which mean the following:
- [major] – the first position indicates the major version number. It changes only when the entire program structure is changed or some significant features are introduced to the software.
- [minor] – the second number changes when planned improvements or minor features are implemented (this usually happens every quarter; see version history).
- [maintenance] – the third number changes only when some important bug fixes need to be applied to the program and cannot wait for the next minor version change.
- [build]– the last number changes automatically every time the Development team compiles a new build during the development cycle. This number is usually meaningless for the end-user.
An upgrade is when you reinstall the program by using a newer version of that program, with a higher first figure of the version number. For example, your currently installed version of the program is 188.8.131.52, and you replace it with version 184.108.40.206.
The upgrades are usually not free, but cost less than new licenses. Before you attempt to upgrade a program, visit the Pricing page of the product (e.g. CodeTwo Backup) to find out if you are eligible for a discount or check your purchase options.
How to upgrade CodeTwo Backup to version 2.x
Detailed instructions on how to upgrade the program from version 1.x to 2.x are available here.
An update is when you reinstall the program by using a newer version of that program, with a higher second, third or fourth figure of the version number. For example, your currently installed version of the program is 220.127.116.11, and you replace it with version 18.104.22.168. Updates are free of charge for all licensed users.
You should update your existing installation on a regular basis to make sure you always use the current version of the program, with all new features included and all known bugs removed. Click the Check for updates link on the Dashboard tab, on the Help card, to see if you're currently using the latest version of the program.
- Download the installer from the product's website onto the machine where CodeTwo Backup is installed.
- Before you proceed, close the Administration Panel of CodeTwo Backup. If there are any jobs running in the background, they will be stopped and resumed automatically after the update.
- Launch the downloaded installer and install the program.
- If you have more instances of the program in your environment, perform the update on each machine where the program is installed.
- After the update process is complete, you can launch the program. All of your settings and jobs are retained.
It may take longer than usual for the program to launch after updating its version from 2.0.x to a newer one due to database migration and synchronization. The next backup cycle may also require additional time to complete.