How to update or upgrade and what is the difference
The program version is always visible at the very top of the main window of the program. It consists of 4 numbers separated by dots, e.g. 184.108.40.2067, following the pattern below:
which mean the following:
- [major] - the first figure is the major version number and it changes rarely, only when significant features are introduced to the software.
- [minor] - the second digit changes every time when we release a new version with planned improvements (this usually happens every quarter, see version history).
- [maintenance] - the digit in the third position will change only when there is a software release that was not originally planned. This usually happens when an important bugfix must be added and cannot wait for the next minor version change.
- [build] - the last number changes automatically every time programmers compile a new build during the development cycle, so it might be quite big (e.g. 337) and is usually meaningless for the end-user.
An upgrade is when you install a newer version of the software, replacing the previous version you have had installed so far, and the newer version installer has a higher first figure of the version number e.g. you currently have version 220.127.116.117 installed and you replace it with version 18.104.22.168.
Upgrades are typically not free but in most cases purchasing an upgrade is much cheaper than buying a new license key. Before upgrading, consult with CodeTwo Support to confirm your upgrade eligibility or purchase options.
How to upgrade
We have not yet released CodeTwo Backup with major version number higher than 1, so there are no instructions ready yet on how to upgrade.
An update is when you install a newer version of the software, replacing the previous version you have had installed so far, and the newer version installer has a higher second, third or fourth figure of the version number e.g. you currently have version 22.214.171.124 installed and you replace it with version 126.96.36.1997 (or update 188.8.131.523 to 184.108.40.206, or update 220.127.116.112 to 18.104.22.1680).
All updates within the same major version are free for licensed users.
- Download the installer from the product's website onto the machine where CodeTwo Backup is installed.
- Before you proceed, close the Administration Panel of CodeTwo Backup. If there are any jobs running in the background, they will be stopped and resumed automatically after the update.
- Launch the downloaded installer and install the program.
- If you have more instances of the program in your environment, perform the update on each machine where the program is installed.
- After the update process is complete, you can launch the program. All of your settings and jobs are retained.