CodeTwo Backup generates log files for all kinds of jobs. They are all kept together within the software's subfolder in the %ProgramData% folder along with some configuration and statistics files.
Sending logs to CodeTwo Support
If you ever experience technical difficulties with CodeTwo Backup and CodeTwo Customer Support assistance is required you will most likely be asked to provide all your settings and log files. To do that:
- Open Windows Explorer and go to your %ProgramData% folder.
- Compress the whole CodeTwo Backup folder into a single .zip file.
- Send this file along with the problem description to CodeTwo Support.
|Fig. 1. Zipping the whole settings, stats and logs folder.|
Be sure to zip all the files before sending. Log files can grow big but they also compress extremely well. If still, all the files after compressing are bigger than 15MB consult with our Knowledge Base article on how to deliver large files to CodeTwo.
Viewing logs files
If you ever need to view log files yourself you might think of manually browsing CodeTwo Backup subfolder within your %ProgramData%. This is always an option, however not the most convenient one. If you do that you will notice that jobs logs are kept in folders with rather user-unfriendly names.
|Fig. 2. Logs folders names visible as jobs IDs.|
Those are unique identifiers (GUIDs) assigned to your jobs internally by the software. To find out which GUID is assigned to which job you would have to cross-reference them manually with jobs.xml file content located directly in %ProgramData%\CodeTwo Backup folder. XML files can be viewed with Windows Notepad, Internet Explorer or any other text editor or web browser.
Make sure you only open XML files to view them and NOT to edit them. Saving manually applied changes to those files may corrupt them and crash the program.
|Fig. 3. XML settings files visible in ProgramData folder.|
To avoid that, simply access them from the CodeTwo Backup Administration Panel:
- Start the Administration Panel of CodeTwo Backup and go to the Jobs tab.
- Select the name of the desired job.
- On the right pane click on the log files... shortcut available in the Details section.
- A window will pop-up from which you can either open one selected log file or save all of them in the location of your choice.
|Fig. 4. Access to the log files from the Administration Panel.|