How to update or upgrade and what is the difference
The program version is always visible at the very top of the main window of the program. It consists of 4 numbers separated by dots, e.g. 188.8.131.527, following the pattern below:
which mean the following:
- [major] - the first figure is the major version number and it changes rarely, only when significant features are introduced to the software.
- [minor] - the second digit changes every time when we release a new version with planned improvements (this usually happens every quarter, see version history of CodeTwo Exchange Rules 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010 or 2007).
- [maintenance] - the digit in the third position will change only when there is a software release that was not originally planned. This usually happens when an important bugfix must be added and cannot wait for the next minor version change.
- [build] - the last number changes automatically every time programmers compile a new build during the development cycle, so it might be quite big (e.g. 337) and is usually meaningless for the end-user.
An upgrade is when you install a newer version of the software, replacing the previous version you have had installed so far, and the newer version installer has a higher first figure of the version number e.g. you currently have version 184.108.40.2067 installed and you replace it with version 220.127.116.11.
Upgrades are typically not free but in most cases purchasing an upgrade is much cheaper than buying a new license key. Before upgrading, consult with CodeTwo Support to confirm your upgrade eligibility or purchase options.
How to upgrade
Simply download the newest installer from the website and install it on top of the existing installation. Your old settings will be converted to the new version standard.
An update is when you install a newer version of the software, replacing the previous version you have had installed so far, and the newer version installer has a higher second, third or fourth figure of the version number e.g. you currently have version 18.104.22.168 installed and you replace it with version 22.214.171.1247 (or update 126.96.36.1993 to 188.8.131.52, or update 184.108.40.2062 to 220.127.116.110).
All updates within the same major version are free for licensed users.
The steps below apply to GUI-based Windows operating systems. If you want to update CodeTwo Exchange Rules Pro on Server Core, refer to this article instead. During the update, the installer will remove the current version of the program and install the new one. A reboot of the server is not required.
- Download the installer for your version of CodeTwo Exchange Rules from the CodeTwo download page onto the machine where CodeTwo software is installed.
- Before you proceed, close the Administration Panel of CodeTwo Exchange Rules on the machine.
- Launch the downloaded installer and install the program.
- If you have more instances of the program in your environment, perform the update on each machine (both clients and servers) where CodeTwo Exchange Rules is installed.
- After the update process is complete, you can launch the Administration Panel again. All of your settings and rules are retained.
Be aware, as per the upgrade rules described above, you can only update for free within the same major version. If the major version number of the software you are using is different than the newest release available on the website, contact CodeTwo Support to get download link of the installer for the version you are licensed to use.
Migration is when you move to another product on preferential terms. For example, you can migrate from CodeTwo Exchange Rules to CodeTwo Exchange Rules Pro, or from CodeTwo Exchange Rules 2007 to CodeTwo Exchange Rules 2010. Migration is not free. Learn more about the available migration options and prices on this website. If necessary, contact CodeTwo Support.
How to migrate
- If you are using the current version of CodeTwo Exchange Rules and want to migrate to the Exchange Rules Pro version, see this article to learn about the migration procedure. Older versions' users must upgrade their standard CodeTwo Exchange Rules to the newest version available before migrating to the Pro version. Consult with CodeTwo Support if in doubt.
- If you want to migrate to another product within the CodeTwo Exchange Rules family (e.g. from Exchange Rules 2007 to Exchange Rules 2010), see this article.