[Update] This post was updated on January 30, 2018
To configure a professional auto-response (not an Exchange Out Of Office message, which is sent only once per sender) for a shared mailbox, apply one of those solutions:
- Set an auto reply for a shared mailbox in Outlook
- Set an auto reply for a shared mailbox with the free CodeTwo Out of Office Manager
Set an auto reply for a shared mailbox in Outlook
- In Outlook Mail Setup in Windows (one way to get there is via Control Panel, User Accounts, Mail) click Show Profiles…
- In the resulting window switch the setting to Prompt for a profile to be used and click Add…
- In the resulting window type in the new Outlook profile’s name, click OK.
- In the Add Account wizard provide an account name, the shared mailbox’s address and click Next and then Finish.
- Run Outlook. A Choose Profile prompt will pop up – select the profile you have just created for the shared mailbox.
- In Outlook click File (upper-left corner), Manage Rules & Alerts. In the resulting window click New Rule…
- In the subsequent window click Apply rule on messages I receive, Next.
- (Optional) Configure criteria which will have to be met by messages for the rule to be applied (if you skip this step the rule will be applied to all messages sent to the shared mailbox), click Next.
- Select Have server reply using a specific message, click the a specific message link and design the template of the auto reply for shared mailbox (the original sender will be automatically added in the TO field every time the auto-response is triggered) and click Save & Close.Optionally, add other actions.
- (Optional) Configure exceptions.
- In the last step, provide the name for the rule, configure additional settings and click Finish.
Set an auto reply for a shared mailbox with the free CodeTwo Out Of Office Manager
CodeTwo Out of Office Manager lets you manage auto replies for any user in the company. One of its many features is to set up auto replies for a shared mailbox.
- First, find the shared mailbox you want to set up auto replies for and right-click the day when you want to start sending automatic responses. Choose Add item.
- Next, go to Recurrence options
- In this window, you can choose when the auto replies will be sent. You can, for example, choose to send automatic responses only on weekdays during the Office hours. Later, you can set up a different out of office message which will be triggered out of office hours.
- To insert the text for your auto reply, go to Outside my Organization and click Edit.
- In the template editor you can specify and style your message. When you are done, click Save & Close.
- Before you leave the editor, be sure to check Auto-reply to people outside my organization and choose whether messages should reach everyone or only people in the Contact list.
- (Optional) Back in the main window, you can modify settings to send auto replies more than once to each sender.
CodeTwo Out of Office Manager lets you manage auto-replies and out of office messages for anyone in your company. You can, for example, set an auto reply to a whole department at once and let the program personalize the message text automatically for each user.
Professional auto-response system via CodeTwo Exchange Rules Pro
CodeTwo Exchange Rules Pro lets you deploy professional auto-response systems for email addresses and AD users.
To configure the application to send automatic replies to messages addressed to a shared mailbox all you have to do is create a new rule, define a Recipient condition that matches the shared mailbox, configure an Auto respond action per your requirements and click Save.
In addition to easy auto replies setup, the program lets you centrally manage your mail flow and email signatures.