To configure a professional auto-response (not an Exchange Out Of Office message, which is sent only once per sender) for a shared mailbox, apply this solution:
- In Outlook Mail Setup in Windows (one way to get there is via Control Panel, User Accounts, Mail) click Show Profiles…
- In the resulting window switch the setting to Prompt for a profile to be used and click Add…
- In the resulting window type in the new Outlook profile’s name, click OK.
- In the Add Account wizard provide an account name, the shared mailbox’s address and click Next and then Finish.
- Run Outlook. A Choose Profile prompt will pop up – select the profile you have just created for the shared mailbox.
- In Outlook click File (upper-left corner), Manage Rules & Alerts. In the resulting window click New Rule…
- In the subsequent window click Apply rule on messages I receive, Next.
- (Optional) Configure criteria which will have to be met by messages for the rule to be applied (if you skip this step the rule will be applied to all messages sent to the shared mailbox), click Next.
- Select Have server reply using a specific message, click the a specific message link and design the template of the auto reply for shared mailbox (the original sender will be automatically added in the TO field every time the auto-response is triggered) and click Save & Close.Optionally, add other actions.
- (Optional) Configure exceptions.
- In the last step, provide the name for the rule, configure additional settings and click Finish.
Professional auto-response system via CodeTwo Exchange Rules Pro
CodeTwo Exchange Rules Pro lets you deploy professional auto-response systems for email addresses and AD users.
To configure the application to send automatic replies to messages addressed to a shared mailbox all you have to do is create a new rule, define a Recipient condition that matches the shared mailbox, configure an Auto respond action per your requirements and click Save.