How to switch from legacy COM Add-in to modern Web Add-in
This article explains how to check which Outlook add-in is used in your organization to add CodeTwo signatures, and how to switch from the legacy COM Add-in to the modern Web Add-in.
- How to tell which CodeTwo Outlook add-in you use?
- Why switch to the modern Web Add-in?
- How to make the switch?
The COM Add-in works with Outlook for Windows only. The Web Add-in works with Outlook for Windows, Outlook for Mac, Outlook for iOS & Android, and Outlook on the web (OWA).
If you use Outlook for Windows, the quickest way to find out which CodeTwo Outlook add-in you have is to look at your Outlook app. If you see the add-in's button on the Home tab (Fig. 1.), you use the COM Add-in. If you click the button, the Signatures Add-in pane opens.
If you see the CodeTwo Signatures button on the Message tab when you compose an email (Fig. 2.), you use the Web Add-in. If you click the button, the CodeTwo Signatures pane opens.
See the table below for other ways to determine which add-in is used in your Microsoft 365 organization:
|You need to sign in to the add-in to use it
|You see CodeTwo for Outlook on the Integrated apps page in the Microsoft 365 admin center
|You see CodeTwo Signatures Add-in for Outlook in Control Panel > Programs and Features in Windows
|You use the add-in to preview cloud (server-side) signatures
Here are the main advantages of the Web Add-in:
- Ultra fast company-wide deployment - end users don’t need to touch anything.
- Supports Outlook for Windows, Mac, OWA & Outlook for iOS and Android (Early access).
- Email signatures are updated in real time, automatically.
- Works in cloud (server-side) mode to preview cloud signatures (added after an email is sent).
- Developed together with CodeTwo and Microsoft dev teams (new features coming soon).
Outlook for Windows support
It is recommended to switch to the Web Add-in only if you use Outlook for Microsoft 365 (see supported versions). Otherwise, CodeTwo signatures will not be automatically added to emails in Outlook (users will need to add them manually from the add-in's pane, as shown in Fig. 2.).
You can only use either of the add-ins. Otherwise, the add-ins can conflict with each other.
The deployment of the Web Add-in usually takes about 6 hours, but it can take up to 72 hours, depending on the size of your organization. It is recommended that you first deploy the Web Add-in via the Microsoft 365 admin center. Then, once the Web Add-in becomes available in Outlook (as shown in Fig. 2.), you can uninstall the COM Add-in. That way, CodeTwo signatures will continue to be added to your organization's emails in Outlook without any interruptions.
Use the links below for step-by-step instructions on how to:
- Deploy the Web Add-in centrally in your Microsoft 365 organization
- Uninstall the COM Add-in (centrally or manually)