How to export an email message to the MSG and EML format
You would like to save an email as an .msg or .eml file.
In this article you will find out about the most common email formats and learn how to export your messages.
- About email file formats
- How to save a message from Outlook for Windows as an .msg file
- How to save a message as an .eml file in:
MSG is a proprietary file format used by Microsoft to store individual email messages and other single items (tasks, meetings, appointments, contacts, etc.) outside of Outlook. This format is compatible with any version of Outlook for Windows.
EML is a standard used by a variety of email clients. This format is similar to a text file, and you can open it in any text editor (such as Notepad). This allows you to convert a .txt file into an .eml file if your email client does not export emails directly into .eml. You can use this format to export emails in Office 365 or many other email clients, for example Gmail.
There are two ways to save an email as an .msg file if you're using a desktop version of Outlook for Windows:
- On the message list, select an email and drop it to a local folder or desktop. A new MSG file will be created (Fig. 1.).
- Select an email on the message list, click the File menu and choose the Save as option. The Save As dialog box will open. Point to the desired folder and choose Outlook message format or Outlook message format - Unicode from the file type drop-down menu (Fig. 2.).
The current versions of Outlook for Windows don't have an option to save an email as an .eml file. Refer to the section below to learn how to do this in Outlook on the web (OWA) or Gmail.
Alternatively, if your mailbox is on Exchange, you can use a third-party tool such as MFCMAPI to export emails to .eml. Learn how to import or export mailbox items via MFCMAPI
How to save a message as an .eml file
On the Outlook’s message list, select an email and drag & drop it to a local folder or desktop. A new EML file will be created (Fig. 3.).
Legacy Outlook for Mac
This method is available for the legacy version of Outlook for Mac only.
Select an email on the message list, click the File menu and choose the Save as option – the file saving dialog box will open. Point to the desired folder and choose Email Message from the file type drop-down menu (Fig. 4.).
Keep in mind that an email saved from Outlook on the web (OWA) using one of the methods below won't include the original message headers. If you want to preserve the original headers (e.g. for diagnostic purposes), use this method instead.
To export an email to the EML format in Outlook on the web (OWA), click the email to open it, then click the ellipsis (three dots) icon in the top right corner and select Save (Fig. 5.). You will be able to save the .eml file on your local drive.
Alternatively, you can also export an email to EML in OWA in the following way:
- Click New message.
- On the message list, select an email you want to export and drop it onto the body of the new email. This will attach the email as an .eml file to the new message, as shown in Fig. 6.
- Click the down-arrow button on the attachment and click Download (Fig. 6.) to save the .eml file on your local drive.
To export an email from Gmail to the EML format, you need to:
- Open the email message you would like to export.
- From the message menu, choose Show original (Fig. 7.).
- This will open the full message as a text document in a separate window. Click Download Original (Fig. 8.).
- In the Save as window, select a download location, name the file the way you want, and click Save (Fig. 9.). Your email is now exported to the EML format.
|Related products:||General (Microsoft 365, Exchange & more)|
|Last modified:||December 7, 2023|
|Created:||March 26, 2019|