Moving installation of CodeTwo Backup to another machine
You need to move CodeTwo Backup installation to a different machine, and you want to keep your old data, settings, etc.
The CodeTwo Backup installation (either for Exchange or for Office 365) is not designed to be moved between different machines. Because of that, it is not possible to keep the software settings when moving the program to a different machine; however, it is possible to keep the backed-up data. Although CodeTwo Backup, starting version 2.x, can be installed on multiple machines, backing up the same data (mailboxes, public folders or SharePoint data) on other computers will consume licenses for each program instance separately. It may be a good idea to plan to move the backed-up data to another machine after releasing the licenses (refer to the user's manual for more information about how to release licenses assigned to mailboxes and the public folders/SharePoint data).
The licenses are consumed only when you start a backup job. So if you intend to move the backed-up data to another instance of the program only for the purpose of, for example, being able to browse through that data or using the same storage to back up other data, the program will not consume any licenses in connection with that move.
- Archiving the existing storage and importing it into another instance of the program*
- Manually moving the storage between two instances of CodeTwo Backup
If you are using CodeTwo Backup version 1.x, refer to this section.
* Although this solution is the recommended one, it will not allow you to move the backed-up SharePoint data (archiving SharePoint data is not yet supported). If you want to move backed-up SharePoint data, follow these steps instead.
- In CodeTwo Backup Administration Panel, go to the Storages tab, and archive all storages that you want to move (Fig. 1.).
- Once the archive job is finished, navigate to the folder with the archived storage. You need to copy the whole folder (Fig. 2.), not only its contents, to another machine.
- Open the Administration Panel on another machine, go to the Storages tab and use the Import option (Fig. 3.).
- Go through the import archive job wizard. In the Archive step of the wizard, point to the folder with your archives (Fig. 4.).
Once finished, the wizard will create a new storage with the data moved from the other instance of CodeTwo Backup.
At the moment, this is the only solution that allows you to move the backed-up SharePoint data between two or more instances of CodeTwo Backup. However, if you only need to move the Exchange data (mailboxes or public folders), we recommend using this solution instead.
- In CodeTwo Backup Administration Panel, go to the Jobs tab and stop all active backup jobs.
- If necessary, go to the Storages tab and check the location of your backed-up data that you want to move to another instance of the program (Fig. 5.).
- Close the program, go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services, and find CodeTwo Backup Service on the list of services (Fig. 6.).
- Right-click it and select Stop.
- Navigate to the storage folder and copy the whole folder (Fig. 7.), not only its contents, to another machine.
- If necessary, you can now restart the CodeTwo Backup Service by right-clicking it in the Services window (see Fig. 6. above) and selecting Start.
- Open CodeTwo Backup Administration Panel on another machine, go to the Storages tab and click Add existing.
- Select the storage folder copied from the other CodeTwo Backup instance, provide the name for the storage and click OK (Fig. 8.).
All your backed-up data can now be used or viewed in this instance of CodeTwo Backup.
If you are using the older version of CodeTwo Backup (prior to version 2.x), it is not possible to use the 1.x product license key on more than one instance of the program. We strongly recommend upgrading the program to version 2.x and following these steps.