Diagnosing CodeTwo migration software
CodeTwo assistance is required when you experience problems with CodeTwo Exchange Migration / CodeTwo Office 365 Migration or require advanced configuration of the software. You need to provide a description of your environment and/or send certain diagnostic files to CodeTwo.
Please follow the steps below to provide a comprehensive diagnostics to CodeTwo Support.
- First of all, check with this article if the problem you encountered is already known.
- Take screenshots of error pop-ups or other unusual software behavior. Please make sure the error message is complete and readable - try expanding the error window so we can see the whole message on the screenshot or copy the error message text.
In Windows 7 and newer, you can use Microsoft Problem Steps Recorder to conveniently document the problem.
- Describe your environment and the migration scenario:
- What is the source server? Is it IMAP or Exchange? What is the name of your IMAP service or which Exchange version (2003, 2007, 2010, 2013) and build number do you have?
- What is the target server?
- Exchange Online (Office 365) - which plan? Is it fully activated?
- MS Exchange Server on-premises (or hosted, but somewhere else than Exchange Online, e.g. on Azure) - how many servers, in which version (2010, 2013, 2016) and build number?
- Is it a cross-forest and/or cross-domain migration?
It might be helpful to draw a diagram of the source and target environments' forests and any relations between them.
- If you migrate between two on-premises Exchange servers, is there a two-way trust setup between them?
- Tell us about the machine on which our software is installed:
- Is the software installed directly on the source Exchange server or on another dedicated server or workstation?
- Is there MS Outlook present on the same machine? If so, in which version and architecture?
- What is the Windows version and architecture, how much RAM is available on that machine?
- In performance or stability cases, please also export Event Viewer log files (branches: System and Applications) in .evtx format and gather necessary statistics:
- To acquire reliable results, performing a migration of only one mailbox will be the best option. Consequently, if you have been migrating multiple maiilboxes, please remove the associations between them, leaving only one pair on the list. Then, please run the migration for at least an hour.
- Connect to your Office 365 / target Exchange Server using the PowerShell, execute the following cmdlet and include the results (the cmdlet obtains mailbox statistics):
- Go to this third-party website and start the Internet connection speed test, take a screenshot of the results.
- Export ALL diagnostic files of the program (Go to: Help, Log Files and then navigate up one level). Compress all folders, except for the Cache directory, to a .zip file before sending them to CodeTwo. Your files are located in the following directory:
%programdata%\CodeTwo\<name of the software>
- Export all your .config files located in the main installation folder (simply copy/paste them somewhere and zip before sending to CodeTwo). By default, the installation folder is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeTwo\<name of the software>
- In the case of problems with migration of particular items, please provide examples of failing items in .msg files or .pst archives.
We need to get an exemplary item exported from the source server as well as from the target server so we can compare their properties. When connected to Exchange on-premises, please use the MFCMAPI tool to export to .msg; when connected to an IMAP server (e.g. Google Apps) or Office 365, you can drag items from Outlook onto your desktop to save as .msg or see how you can export multiple items from Outlook via a .pst file.
It is important to provide examples in either the .msg format or in a .pst container. This is to preserve items' properties. It is also important to zip such files prior to attaching to an email. .msg files get their properties modified by Exchange Servers the email travels through.
- Compress all files (screenshots, log files, settings) into a single .zip file.
If the total size of all attachments compressed is bigger than 15 MB please consult this article on delivering large files to CodeTwo.
- Send all the files requested above and the environment description to CodeTwo.
If you have a case open with us already, it is very important to state your case number in the subject line.