The backup or restore process is visibly slower than network bandwidth.
In some cases, users may notice that the actual backed up or restored data transfer speed is considerably slower than their network bandwidth. See the user's manual to learn why.
Another reason backup speed may be low is the storage solution used for your data. Make sure you are following the technical requirements and using an SSD (solid-state drive) to back up your data and an HDD (hard-disc drive) for archiving. The software is constantly processing a large number of files, so using an HDD as your backup storage may limit the backup speed as well.
If you believe that your backup process is too slow, follow the steps below:
- If so far you have been running backup jobs for multiple mailboxes, create a test backup job for just one mailbox. Stop other jobs. Run the new job you created for just one mailbox, allow it either to finish or run it for at least an hour so the software can gather enough statistics.
- Compress to a .zip file the whole folder (contains log files, jobs statistics, etc.):
- Go to this third party website and start the Internet connection speed test, take a screenshot of the results.
- Connect to your Office 365 / target Exchange Server via Powershell and execute the below cmdlet, take a screenshot of the results (this will gather statistics about the mailbox):
Get-MailboxStatistics -identity <MailboxName> | flWhere <MailboxName> is a name of the mailbox you ran the backup job for.
- In the case of Exchange Online (Office 365) run also the below cmdlet:
Get-OrganizationConfigValue of the OrganizationId property in the above cmdlet execution results will reveal the Exchange Online server name on which your tenant is hosted.
- Let us know where exactly are physically located: the machine on which you are running CodeTwo Backup and the Exchange Server. In the case of Exchange Online (Office 365) you might not know that. Tell us then, what country was chosen during Office 365 tenant configuration and do not forget to attach results from points 5 and 6.
- Compress all files (screenshots, log files, settings, etc.) into a single .zip file.
- Use our file upload form to send us the files and environment description.
|Related products:||CodeTwo Backup for Exchange, CodeTwo Backup for Office 365|
|Last modified:||January 16, 2020|
|Created:||March 20, 2015|