Message splitting in CodeTwo software and problems when sending an email to multiple recipients
When you send an email to multiple recipients, only the rules that apply to the first recipient (in the To field of the message) are executed. As a result, all recipients receive the message version intended for the first recipient.
You use CodeTwo software to add different signatures to emails sent to Company A and to Company B. You send an email to both Company A and Company B, and the first recipient in the To field is Company A. It turns out that both companies get the signature designed for Company A.
This problem occurs because the message splitting capability is inactive in the CodeTwo software that you use. For the software to apply different rules to different recipients, message splitting needs to be enabled. This functionality is turned on by default in the current versions of programs from the CodeTwo Exchange Rules family. Read on to learn more about message splitting in CodeTwo Exchange Rules software family and how to enable/disable this option.
Message splitting, also called bifurcation, is a process that splits the original message into several identical copies. The number of copies depends on the number of different emails that the program needs to produce by applying different rules. For example, if there are 6 recipients of a message and that requires the program to generate 4 different emails, the message needs to be split into 4 copies. Each copy is processed separately by the program, and each copy appears in the Sent Items folder (so you have multiple versions of the same email in Sent Items, each one with different rules applied).
If message splitting is disabled and a message is sent to several people, the program applies the rule defined for the first person on the recipients’ list to everyone on that list. To solve this problem, you need to activate message splitting in your CodeTwo software.
- Exceptions to the first recipient rule: If you set up different signatures for users within and users outside your organization, emails sent outside your organization will never be stamped with signatures designed for internal users. This holds true even if message splitting is disabled and the first recipient is an internal one. Also, although message splitting is disabled, emails to internal recipients will be stamped with the external signature as long as there is at least one external recipient in the To field, not necessarily listed as the first one.
- Email envelope: No matter if you enable or disable message splitting in CodeTwo Exchange Rules, the envelope of an email will not be changed: the To field of every copy will contain all the recipients. On the other hand, the email body of each copy will be different, as a result of modification by different rules.
- Submission queue: Split messages are not inserted into the submission queue again. If the CodeTwo Exchange Rules Transport Agent is the last one on the list of your transport agents, and you have other agents that would process such split messages differently, you may want to reverse the agents’ priority to make the CodeTwo agent the first one to process your message queue. See this article for details.
To learn more about message splitting and see examples, see the user's manual for the latest versions of CodeTwo software:
All the programs from the CodeTwo Exchange Rules software family allow you to enable or disable message splitting. To find out how to enable/disable message splitting in your version of the program, follow the links below.
- Newer versions (CodeTwo Exchange Rules Pro 2.x and CodeTwo Exchange Rules versions released after 2012)
- Older versions (CodeTwo Exchange Rules Pro 1.x, CodeTwo Exchange Rules 2010 1.x and 2007 2.x)
Message splitting is enabled by default in:
- CodeTwo Exchange Rules Pro 2.x
- CodeTwo Exchange Rules 2016 1.x
- CodeTwo Exchange Rules 2013 1.x and 2.x
- CodeTwo Exchange Rules 2010 2.x and 3.x
- CodeTwo Exchange Rules 2007 3.x and 4.x
To enable/disable this option in any of the above programs, you need to:
- Open the Administration Panel and click the Settings button on the toolbar.
- In the Program settings window, click the Message splitting tab and select/deselect the Activate message splitting option (Fig. 1. and Fig. 2.).
- CodeTwo Exchange Rules Pro 1.x
- CodeTwo Exchange Rules 2010 1.x
- CodeTwo Exchange Rules 2007 2.x
To find this option in CodeTwo Exchange Rules Pro 1.x:
- Open the Administration Panel and click the Settings button in the main window.
- In the window that opens, click the Message Splitting tab and select Split messages addressed to multiple recipients if you want different rules to apply to different recipients option (Fig. 3.).
To find this option in CodeTwo Exchange Rules 2010 1.x and 2007 2.x:
- Open the Administration Panel, click Tools and select Advanced settings.
- In the dialog box that opens, select Split messages addressed to multiple recipients if you want different rules to apply to different recipients option (Fig. 4.).