How to kill a process
You cannot stop a process.
- Start Windows command line (cmd.exe).
- Type in and execute the following command where <name> is the name of the process or service you want to kill. You can find it in Task Manager or Windows Services Menu (services.msc). The command will show you some info about the process, among which you will see PID which is Process ID.
sc queryex <name>
- Type in and execute the below command swapping <PID> for the PID number you have got using the command from point 2.
taskkill /F /PID <PID>
- How to uninstall a service
- How to extend the timeout for services if they do fail to start or stop
- How to end a task in Windows Task Manager
- Applies to: Other
- Categories: How-To
- Last modified: 2014-08-01
- Created: 2014-08-01
- ID: 389
- Keywords: kill, stop, close, service, process