Creating a backup copy of data in CodeTwo Public Folders
This article is meant for users of CodeTwo Public Folders. This software has been discontinued. You can check the list of currently available CodeTwo products here.
You want to create a backup copy of database in CodeTwo Public Folders.
Solution for CodeTwo Public Folders 5.x
- Run your CodeTwo Public Folders Administration Panel
- Choose Outlook sharing card
- You can make two kinds of a database backup in Public Folders:
- The copy for migrating the database to another computer: choose Database migration and click Export database button then browse for backup folder (Fig. 1)
- Or the local copy of your database: choose Backup copy then click Create a new backup copy and browse for backup folder (Fig. 2):
Solution for CodeTwo Public Folders 4.x
The steps have to be carried out on the computer hosting the Syncing Master (server module).
- Stopping C2PublicFolders service. To do this, choose Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, then right-click C2PublicFolders and select Stop from the menu. More about C2PublicFolders service...
Copying DATA folder which contains data from folders. Normally, the path is:
C:\Program Files\CodeTwo\CodeTwo PublicFolders Server\Data
Although during installation you can specify a different destination folder or move your database to another location after installation. So ensure that you are choosing an appropriate path.
To create a backup copy, simply copy DATA folder with all its content to a safe place.
- Starting C2PublicFolders service. To activate it, choose Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services then right-click C2PublicFolders and select Start from the menu.
DATA folder has the structure resembling the list of folders in C2Public Folders. Individual data items of all type are saved as MSG files. More about restoring individual data items…
Data shared by users are saved to DataUsers folder. It is not necessary to back up data from this folder, as this data is stored on individual users’ computers.
Please note! In CodeTwo Public Folders 4.5, all items created by users after creating the backup copy, and before restoring them, will be added to the new, restored data base. In other words, new (restored) data base will contain the folder structure that is exactly the same as in the backup copy. What is more, it will additionally contain each item created in this period in one of the existing folders. However, the newly created folders / subfolders (after creating the back up copy) will not be kept, only the new items in the existing folders. If you need to remove these additional items from the restored data base, you need to remove them manually in Outlook equipped with Outlook Add-in of CodeTwo Public Folders. Please bear in mind that this scenario concerns only the version 4.5; in the previous versions of CodeTwo Public Folders (4.1 and lower) the restored data base is always the same as the backup copy.