How to copy email signatures from server-side to client-side rules
You want to copy email signature templates between server-side and client-side signature rules.
Your custom signature templates can be used in both types of signature rules: server-side and client-side. For example, to make a server-side signature available in a client-side signature rule, you first need to save that template in the template library. Then, simply select that template while editing a client-side signature template.
If your server-side signature contains placeholders that are not supported in client-side mode, they will not be correctly replaced by relevant information when an email is sent. These placeholders must be removed manually, otherwise there might be blank lines in your signature. For a full list of unsupported placeholders, click here.
If your server-side signature contains layout elements that are not supported in client-side mode i.e. header and left and right banners, they will not be imported into the client-side signature template editor.
To copy an email signature, follow these steps:
- Open the signature management app (app.codetwo.com).
- Select a server-side signature rule, go to the Design tab and click the Edit Signature button (Fig. 1.).
- When the editor opens with your current signature, click the Templates button in the Template group on the Main tab, and choose Save as template from the drop-down menu (Fig. 2.).
- Enter the name of you template and click Save, as shown in Fig. 3.
- Close the editor.
- In the signature management app, select a client-side signature rule, go to the Design tab and click the Edit Signature button (Fig. 4.).
- When the editor opens, click Templates in the Template group of the Main tab, and choose Open template to open the Signature template library (Fig.5.). If you haven’t edited the signature template for this rule yet, the template library opens automatically.
- Make sure that the my templates checkbox is selected in the Categories pane on the right side of the signature template library window (Fig. 6., item 1).
- Scroll through the signature template library to find the template you have previously saved (Fig. 6., item 2).
- You can now modify your template or simply save it by clicking Apply & Close.
The Signature template editor also has the Save as file and Load from file functions, but this mechanism cannot be used for copying templates between modes.
The server-side editor uses proprietary .c2cf files that cannot be loaded into the client-side editor. In turn, the client-side editor uses .c2tf files, and these are not recognized by the server-side editor.
Listed below are the signature placeholders available in server-side mode which are not supported in client-side mode:
- Message date
- Message ID
- Message subject
- Recipient address
- Sending server
- Current date/time
If you attempt to use a client-side signature containing one or more of these placeholders, you will get the following error message, listing the unrecognized placeholders:
A similar error message will be displayed if insert a conditional placeholder that makes use of placeholders available only for server-side signatures into a client-side signature template.
- CodeTwo Exchange Rules Converter – an easy-to-use tool that allows you to transfer rules and signature templates from CodeTwo Exchange Rules to CodeTwo Email Signatures for Office 365.
- How to transfer signatures between different CodeTwo products – an alternative method that involves copying the signature’s html source code.