How to copy email signatures from server-side to client-side rules
You want to copy email signature templates between cloud (server-side) and Outlook (client-side) signature rules.
Your custom signature templates can be used in both types of signature rules: cloud (server-side) and Outlook (client-side). For example, to make a cloud signature available in an Outlook signature rule, you first need to save that template in the template library. Then, simply select that template while editing an Outlook side signature template.
If your cloud signature contains placeholders that are not supported in Outlook mode, they will not be correctly replaced by relevant information when an email is sent. These placeholders must be removed manually, otherwise there might be blank lines in your signature. For a full list of unsupported placeholders, click here.
If your cloud signature contains layout elements that are not supported in Outlook mode i.e. header and left and right banners, they will not be imported into the signature template editor.
To copy an email signature, follow these steps:
- Open the signature management app (app.codetwo.com).
- Select a cloud (server-side) signature rule, go to the Design step and click the Edit Signature button (Fig. 1.).
- When the editor opens with your current signature, click the Templates button in the Template group on the Main tab, and choose Save as template from the drop-down menu (Fig. 2.).
- Enter the name of you template and click Save, as shown in Fig. 3.
- Close the editor.
- In the signature management app, select an Outlook (client-side) signature rule, go to the Design step and click the Edit Signature button (Fig. 4.).
- When the editor opens, click Templates in the Template group of the Main tab, and choose Open template to open the Signature template library (Fig. 5.). If you haven’t edited the signature template for this rule yet, the template library opens automatically.
- Make sure that the my templates checkbox is selected in the Categories pane on the right side of the signature template library window (Fig. 6., item 1).
- Scroll through the signature template library to find the template you have previously saved (Fig. 6., item 2).
- You can now modify your template or simply save it by clicking Apply & Close.
The signature template editor also has the Save as file and Load from file functions, but this mechanism cannot be used for copying templates between modes.
The cloud (server-side) signature template editor uses proprietary .c2cf files that cannot be loaded into the Outlook (client-side) signature template editor. In turn, the Outlook signature template editor uses .c2tf files, and these are not recognized by the cloud signature template editor.
- When you are done, make your changes available to your users by clicking Save & Publish.
Listed below are the signature placeholders available in cloud mode which are not supported in Outlook mode:
- Message date
- Message ID
- Message subject
- Recipient address
- Sending server
- Current date/time
- Future date / due date
If you attempt to use an Outlook signature containing one or more of these placeholders, you will get the following error message, listing the unrecognized placeholders:
A similar error message will be displayed if you insert a conditional placeholder that makes use of placeholders available only for cloud (server-side) signatures into an Outlook (client-side) signature template.
- CodeTwo Exchange Rules Converter – an easy-to-use tool that allows you to transfer rules and templates from CodeTwo Exchange Rules to CodeTwo Email Signatures 365.
- How to transfer signatures between different CodeTwo products – an alternative method that involves copying the signature’s html source code.