Microsoft security policies prevent creating app passwords in Office 365
After enabling multi-factor authentication (MFA) for the entire organization (or for admins only) by using Azure AD Identity Protection or Microsoft 365 security center, app passwords may no longer be available for the affected users. This prevents you to use app passwords in your CodeTwo software in order to connect to your Office 365 organization (e.g. when using CodeTwo backup and migration tools or Custom Attributes Sync App of CodeTwo Email Signatures for Office 365).
Normally, app passwords can be created on the Security & privacy page in Office 365 (Office 365 > My account > Security & privacy) under the Additional security verification options. However, when MFA is forced by other means than using the MFA portal, these options may not be available (as shown in Fig. 1.).
This is because the MFA status might still appear as Disabled (Fig. 2.) in the MFA portal.
To enable the Additional security verification options, follow the steps below.
You can apply the same steps even if the MFA status is shown as Enabled but you still don't see the Additional security verification options on the Security & privacy page. However, instead of simply enabling multi-factor authentication in the MFA portal (as shown in step 4), disable it first, and then reenable it.
- Open Microsoft 365 admin center (Office 365 admin center).
- Go to Users > Active users.
- Without selecting any user, click Multi-factor authentication (Fig. 3.).
- Find the admin account that you use in your CodeTwo software, select it and click Enable. Next, confirm your choice by clicking enable multi-factor auth.
- Sing in to Office 365 with the admin account for which you’ve just enabled MFA, go to My account > Security & privacy. The Additional security verification options should now be available (Fig. 5.).
If that admin account is already signed in to Office 365, it may be necessary for the account to sign out and sign in again for the Additional security verification options to appear.
Once you have access to app passwords, follow these steps to learn how to generate them and use with your CodeTwo software.