How to change the versioning settings in SharePoint
When restoring SharePoint data in CodeTwo Backup, you receive notifications informing you that the program was unable to change or restore some or all versioning settings for a list or library in your SharePoint environment.
Before attempting to restore any data, CodeTwo Backup modifies the following versioning settings (Fig. 1.) for SharePoint lists and/or libraries on the target server:
- Content Approval is disabled
- Document Version History is set to Create major versions
- Require Check Out is enabled
These settings are changed to enable complete recovery of all backed-up SharePoint objects, together with their settings and/or metadata information. After the restore job is complete, the program changes these settings back to as they were so that no traces of a restore job are visible beside the changed versions of items that were restored.
- If the program is unable to change the versioning settings automatically before attempting to restore your SharePoint data, the Modified and Modified By field values for all restored items will be updated with the time of the restore operation and the name of the account used to perform that operation, respectively. In such case, change these settings manually within SharePoint (as shown in Fig. 1.) and try running the restore job again.
- If the program is unable to restore the versioning settings automatically after the restore job is complete, the default settings will be used. You will be notified which settings were not restored and, based on that information, you can restore them manually within SharePoint.
To change the versioning settings manually, follow the steps below:
- Open the list or library for which you want to change the versioning settings.
- 2a. SharePoint Online: Click the Settings () button in the upper-right corner of the screen and select List settings or Library settings (Fig. 2.).
- 2b. SharePoint Server 2016 and 2013: Click List or Library on the ribbon, and then click List Settings or Library Settings (Fig. 3.).
- On the settings page that opens, click Versioning settings.
- Change the versioning settings according to the notifications shown in CodeTwo Backup.
Use the settings below if the program is unable to change the versioning settings automatically before running the restore job (see also Fig. 1. above):
- Content Approval – select No.
- Document Version History – select Create major versions.
- Require Check Out – select Yes.
- Click OK to save the changes.