How to move CodeTwo Exchange Sync settings to a different Exchange server
You need to move your CodeTwo Exchange Sync installation to another machine or you want to back up your settings and program's cache files.
This article explains:
- how to back up CodeTwo Exchange Sync installation (settings and cache),
- how to move (migrate) CodeTwo Exchange Sync installation to another machine.
The provided solution is a workaround and may not cover all scenarios. If you are going to move your CodeTwo Exchange Sync settings and cache to a new Exchange environment (e.g. after a migration to a different Exchange Server version), be aware that your mailboxes' identifiers might have changed in this environment. As a result, some items might get duplicated after you migrate your CodeTwo installation in the way described below. The same might happen if the backed up data gets corrupted while transferring it to a new machine.
How to back up CodeTwo Exchange Sync installation (settings and cache)
To back up CodeTwo Exchange Sync settings and cache, you need to follow the steps below.
- Before you start the backup operation, stop the CodeTwo Exchange Sync service in the Services manager in Windows: open the Start menu, type services.msc and press Enter. Find C2ExchangeSync on the list, right-click it and select Stop.
- Copy the file C2ExchangeSyncSettings.dat into your backup location. This file can be found in different locations, depending on your version of the software:
- CodeTwo Exchange Sync 2.5.0 and later:
- CodeTwo Exchange Sync versions older than 2.5.x:
C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeTwo\CodeTwo Exchange Sync
- CodeTwo Exchange Sync 2.5.0 and later:
- If you want to keep all the syncing history, you also need to back up the Data folder, which is a cache folder for the program. The Data folder is located in the software's installation folder (Fig. 1.). This folder remains on the hard drive even after the uninstallation process.
Fig. 1. The cache folder located in the installation directory.
How to move CodeTwo Exchange Sync installation (settings and cache) to another machine
To migrate the software's settings and cache to another Exchange server, you need to:
- Stop the CodeTwo Exchange Sync service on this machine (open the Start menu, type services.msc and press Enter, then find C2ExchangeSync on the list, right-click it and select Stop).
- Replace the corresponding settings files and cache on this new machine with the files and cache you backed up.
Moving the cache (the Data folder) is not necessary, but it's strongly advised to avoid duplication on the new Exchange server. Do not migrate this folder if you reorganized the mailboxes and Active Directory in this new environment - Exchange Sync works based on unique mailbox identifiers, and these identifiers might change, e.g. if mailboxes are set up from scratch. This might result in duplication of items.
- Restart the CodeTwo Exchange Sync service.
How to avoid duplication of items without migrating the cache (Data) folder
If your new environment has a different Active Directory structure, and you only want to import CodeTwo Exchange Sync settings (without the program's cache/Data folder), you can use this alternative solution to avoid duplication of items:
You can set a new condition to be applied to your tasks. With this condition, the items created before importing the Exchange Sync settings will be excluded from the synchronization process (that is, the program will not remove, update or copy these items). Follow the steps below to apply this solution.
Be aware that this solution is eligible only for specific scenarios. For example, if you are using CodeTwo Exchange Sync to synchronize a database of contacts or appointments, the software will not synchronize changes made to items that were created before you imported the program's settings from another machine.
- Make sure that the CodeTwo Exchange Sync service isnot running on both the old and new machine.
- Copy the C2ExchangeSyncSettings.dat file from the old machine to the new machine.
- Launch CodeTwo Exchange Sync on the new machine, and navigate to a task (tasks) to which you want to apply the new condition.
- Under the Item synchronization conditions section click the Add button.
- Create the following condition (Fig. 2.):
Property Created is greater than or equal <the date and time when you moved your installation>
- Click Save to apply the changes.
Fig. 2. The condition that prevents the synchronization of items created before you imported the settings from another Exchange Server.
|Related products:||CodeTwo Exchange Sync|
|Last modified:||May 6, 2021|
|Created:||October 15, 2012|