How to delete the content of a user mailbox
You would like to delete the content of a user's mailbox in Exchange Server or Exchange Online (Office 365).
To delete items from mailboxes on any on-premises Exchange servers, you can use a free third-party tool, MFCMAPI. Please refer to the vendor's website for details.
Additionally, in Exchange Server 2013, 2016 or Exchange Online (Office 365) you can remove a mailbox content from within ECP. See below how to do this:
- Log in to the Exchange admin center (EAC).
- Go to permissions, admin roles, select Organization Management, and click Edit (Fig. 1.).
- Click the plus (+) button in the Roles section (Fig. 2.).
- Select and add:
- Mailbox Import Export
- Mailbox Search (Fig. 3.)
- Click OK, Save and close ECP. Log out of Windows and log back in.
- Log in to the Exchange Management Shell (in the case of Exchange Online, use PowerShell).
(Optional) Run the PowerShell cmdlet below to check how many items will be deleted:
Get-MailboxFolderStatistics <mailbox-name> | Select Identity, ItemsInFolder
Run the PowerShell cmdlet below to delete the mailbox content:
Search-Mailbox -Identity "<MailboxOrMailUserIdParameter>" -DeleteContent -force
The MailboxOrMailUserIdParameter may be provided as an alias, canonical DN, display name, distinguished name and more. Please see this TechNet article for further reference.
If you want to delete the content of multiple mailboxes or are looking for more options, you may find this article helpful.