How to archive data from public folders
You need to back up or archive an Outlook PST file.
Archiving parts of data kept in the public folders of CodeTwo Public Folders may be useful, especially when the PST file (where the local copy is stored) is too big. There are three methods of archiving public folder items.
Using the archiving tool
In order to archive parts of data from C2PublicFolders tree based on creation date, you can do the following:
- Run the archiving tool in Outlook on one of the Outlook Addin (client) computers (this computer should have an access to all public folders).
- Once the archiving is finished, copy the PST file containing the archive and upload it to the remaining users' local disks.
- If you want other users to view the archived items, access their computers, open their Outlooks and choose: File, Open, Outlook Data File. Then, find the archived PST file in the resulting window and click OK. A new tree containing the archive will be created in the Outlook folder list.
Another way to downsize a PST file is to manually select the elements to be archived. Here is what should be done:
- Create a new PST file on one of the computers with an Outlook Addin installed by clicking File, New, Outlook Data File, and choosing Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst). Then, select or create a folder that will be responsible for storing the archive and create a name for the data file that is to be created. A new tree will be created in Outlook.
- Move the selected files to the newly created tree in the folder list. It can be done using the Drag&Drop method or by keyboard shortcuts: Crtl+X (cut), Ctrl+V (paste).
- Once the manual archiving is finished, the newly created PST file should be copied and opened on the remaining computers that have an Outlook Addins installed. How to copy and open a PST files on other computer is described in detail above (points 2 and 3 of the first archiving method).
Archiving data on the Syncing Master (server module)
It is also possible to archive data on the Syncing Master. It can be done when a PST file has almost reached its size limit (for Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 the size limit is 20GB, whereas older versions of Outlook cannot exceed 2GB) and working with public folders has become no longer possible. You need to do the following:
- Stop C2PublicFolders service (Click: Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, locate C2PublicFolders in the list of all services, right-click it and choose Stop).
- Open the main installation folder of the Syncing Master and locate the Data folder. Move the files that are selected for archiving to another folder (each of these files corresponds to one element in the public folders).
- Start C2Publicfolders service (Click: Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, locate C2PublicFolders in the list of all services, right-click it and choose Start).
- If these archives are to be visible for other users, a new PST file needs to be created in Outlook (described in point 1 of manual archiving) and the archived files have to be moved to this tree (as described in points 2 and 3 of using the archiving tool)
Please bear in mind that all archived items will no longer sync between the Outlook Addins. If one user makes any changes to the items residing in the archive tree, the changes will not synchronize with other users. Therefore, it is recommended to archive only the items that will not require any modifications in the future.
- Applies to: CodeTwo Public Folders 4.0, 4.5
- Categories: How-To, Troubleshooting
- Last modified: 2015-01-20
- Created: 2009-06-17
- ID: 103
- Keywords: PST, PST file, too big, big PST, archive, archiving, downsize, downsizing, decrease, size, change