How to disable default email signatures in mobile Outlook apps with Intune
You would like to use Microsoft Intune to centrally disable the default email signature in Outlook for Android and Outlook for iOS for all users or selected groups of users in your organization.
You can disable the default signature in both mobile Outlook apps by using the App configuration policies feature in the Microsoft Endpoint Manager admin center. Thanks to that, a special policy will be created and applied to the Outlook apps on mobile devices enrolled in Microsoft Intune.
To be assigned the policy, a user must belong to a public Azure Active Directory group in your organization. Depending on the scope of users who are going to be covered by the policy, you can create a group containing simply all the users as well as groups with specific users. Remember to do it before you proceed with the instructions below.
The process is common for both the platforms and goes as follows:
- Sign in to the Microsoft Endpoint Manager admin center.
- Go to Apps > App configuration policies, click Add, and select Managed apps (Fig. 1.).
- In the Basics step, provide appropriate policy name (mandatory) and description. Next, click Select public apps (Fig. 2.).
- In the Select apps to target pane, type outlook (Fig. 3., item 1) and click the Outlook versions for both the platforms (Fig. 3., item 2). The apps should appear under Selected Apps (Fig. 3., item 3). Finally, click Select to confirm your choices and close the pane (Fig. 3., item 4).
If you’ve chosen to use only one mobile platform organization-wide, you don’t have to select both the Outlook versions but only the one that is appropriate for the mobile platform you use.
- Click Next to go to the Settings step. Once there, click Outlook configuration settings to expand the settings list. Locate the Default App Signature option and set it to No. This setting will be common for both mobile platforms. Finally, click Next (Fig. 4.).
- In the next step, you can configure Scope tags if you use this feature. Click Next to move on.
- The Assignments step allows you to define scope of users for whom the default app signature in the mobile Outlook apps will be disabled. To assign the policy to group(s), click Add groups and choose appropriate AAD groups – once selected, they will be listed under Included groups (Fig. 5.).
If you wish to allow users belonging to certain AAD groups to use default app signature in the mobile Outlook apps instead, you can exclude them from this policy by clicking Add groups under Excluded groups (see the bottom portion of Fig. 5.).
- In the last step, Review + create, verify if all the settings are correct. If you’re fine with them, click Create (Fig. 6.) to save and apply your policy.
Even though the policy is common for both the mobile platforms, Intune will smartly apply the policy to an appropriate Outlook version depending on the platform. From now on, the default signature in Outlook for Android and Outlook for iOS will be disabled on devices of users from selected AAD group(s).