Email signatures in Microsoft 365
Email signature management in Microsoft 365 (Office 365)/Exchange Online
Native email signature functionalities
In Microsoft 365 (Exchange Online), available options allow the administrator to manage email signatures but in a very limited way. Common weaknesses are that:
- signatures can only be inserted at the very bottom of an email conversation, which, in reply/forward messages, leads to growing signature pile at the end of the email conversation
- white spaces in signatures (left when no values were pulled from empty fields in Active Directory) cannot be removed on the fly
- images cannot be embedded in the email signature (recipients get them as attachments)
- email signatures cannot be managed by non-admin Microsoft 365 users
users cannot see the signature in their email client before sending an email or choose one of the available designs.
How to set up email signature in Microsoft 365?
Setting up an email signature using Microsoft 365 built-in features requires 2 basic steps:
- Prepare the email signature source code (you can use our Email Signature Generator for Exchange Online)
- Set up the email signature as per this instruction.
Need more advanced email signature management options?
The examples of limitations mentioned above can be removed by using software such as CodeTwo Email Signatures for Office 365. Keep reading to learn more about the product itself and its advantages over options offered in Microsoft 365.
A brief comparison of Microsoft 365 native signature options and CodeTwo Email Signatures for Office 365
How does CodeTwo Email Signatures for Office 365 work?
- When working in server-side signature mode (default), the program sets up the send and receive connectors that route all emails from your Microsoft 365 tenant to the CodeTwo Email Azure Service that resides on Microsoft Azure.
- When you send a message from any device or email client, the CodeTwo Email Azure Service gets that message and, based on specified conditions, stamps it with the signature. Once the email had been processed, it is sent back to the Microsoft 365 tenant and then the message is delivered to original recipients (no email leaves Microsoft datacenters at any point to get the signature).
- All recipients receive your emails that contain with a professionally designed signature.
When working in client-side mode, users get email signatures directly in their Outlook desktop apps when composing an email. Thanks to a dedicated add-in, which automatically synchronizes with our services, signatures are always up to date. Users can freely browse through signatures set up by administrators or dedicated users in the Manage Signatures App.
Combo mode combines benefits of client-side mode and server-side mode.