Refresh email addresses
To perform a successful migration with CodeTwo Exchange / Office 365 Migration you need to, at least, connect to your source and target servers, select mailboxes that you want to migrate and match them with mailboxes residing on your target server. However, each time the email addresses of these mailboxes are changed on your source or target server, you need to modify them also in the program. To do so, you can use the Refresh email addresses option.
Before you attempt to refresh email addresses, you first need to reconfigure the connection to the server on which the change was made (for example, the source and/or target domain has been switched or transferred as a part of the migration process). This does not apply to Office 365 connections where the admin account’s primary email address from the *.onmicrosoft.com domain (or *.onmicrosoft.de for Office 365 Germany) was entered in the configuration wizard.
The Refresh email addresses option is primarily used in:
- cutover migration, as part of the post-migration activities, after switching domains and changing MX records
- staged migration, during the second migration stage
in order to run Rescan and migrate any new or remaining data from the source server.
Follow the links below to learn more about:
- refreshing email addresses
- analyzing the email addresses refresh status
- refreshing email addresses for IMAP migrations
- Go to Jobs tab.
- From the mailboxes list (Fig. 1.), select mailboxes whose email addresses were changed. Press Ctrl to select mailboxes one by one, Ctrl+Shift to select multiple rows, or Ctrl+A to select all mailboxes.
- Click the Refresh email addresses button on the top menu.
The refreshing process will start automatically. When finished, you will see the results window (Fig. 2.).
You can now either close this window or open a report containing detailed information on this process. You can check which exact email addresses were refreshed successfully, which were not changed, which were not refreshed at all, etc.
Below you will find all the possible results of using the Refresh email addresses option, different for source and target mailboxes. Learn more about each potential outcome and find out how to troubleshoot problems with mailboxes whose email addresses could not be updated.
Results for source mailboxes
- Refreshed – the number of mailboxes whose email addresses were changed on the source server and successfully refreshed in the program.
- Not changed – the number of mailboxes whose email addresses were not changed on the source server.
- Not refreshed - missing mailboxes – the number of mailboxes that were not refreshed because they could not be found on the source server. You will get this result if, for example, these mailboxes were deleted from your source server. Once you restart the program or edit the migration job, the migration entries for these mailboxes will be removed.
Results for target mailboxes
- Refreshed – the number of mailboxes whose email addresses were changed on the target server and successfully refreshed in the program.
- Not changed – the number of mailboxes whose email addresses were not changed on the target server.
- Not refreshed - addresses entered manually – the number of mailboxes that were not refreshed because there were entered manually during the mailbox matching step. Make sure these addresses still exist on your target server and match them manually with the source mailboxes.
- Not refreshed - mailboxes not created yet – the number of mailboxes that were not refreshed because they have not yet been created by the program on the target server. Make sure to reconfigure the mailboxes creation settings if the domain on your target server has been changed.
- Not refreshed - missing mailboxes – the number of mailboxes that were not refreshed because they could not be found on the target server. If you want to migrate the source mailboxes that were matched to these target mailboxes, you need to rematch them with other, existing mailboxes on the target server.
When migrating from an IMAP server, the Refresh email addresses option is not available. It is also not possible to refresh email addresses for source mailboxes once you have changed the domain on your source server. In such a case, you need to create a new migration job.
However, if the email addresses have been changed only on the target server, you can refresh them manually. To do so, reconfigure the target server connection and rematch the source and target mailboxes.