Managing individual photos
CodeTwo Active Directory Photos allows you to manage user photos one by one or collectively (for multiple users at the same time). If you want to manipulate images separately for each of your users, the program allows you to:
- Import a new photo to Active Directory or change the existing picture,
- export an image from AD and save it locally,
- edit a photo,
- remove an image from Active Directory.
The program's intuitive UI offers several different ways to perform the above actions. For example, most photo management options are available when you right-click a user on the Users and Contacts list. The shortcut menu also allows you to copy and paste images between individual users.
To add a new image to your Active Directory user or replace the existing photo, select a user on the Users and Contacts list and use one of these methods:
- click the Browse () button next to the thumbnail image (photo avatar) of this user (see Fig. 1.);
- right-click anywhere on your selection and click Choose photo on the shortcut menu;
- use the Import () button on the toolbar. This method is more complex (you need to define the source folder and file name pattern of your image) and is recommended if you want to manage multiple photos at the same time. Learn more
Now find a local picture that you want to upload to your Active Directory.
The program support the most common image formats: JPEG, BMP, PNG, and GIF.
Once you select a picture file, a built-in photo editor opens (Fig. 2.). You can use the editor to modify your image or define the file size limit. Learn more about the photo editor
Click OK to upload the user photo to Active Directory.
To export a user photo from Active Directory and save it to a local computer, select a user on the Users and Contacts list and click the Export () button on the toolbar.
You can also copy an AD photo by right-clicking the selected user and choosing Copy photo from the shortcut menu. To save the copied image, paste it into another application, for example MS Paint.
There are several alternative ways to edit an Active Directory photo. You can:
- double-click a thumbnail image of your user on the Users and Contacts list;
- select a user and use the Edit () button on the toolbar;
- right-click a user and choose Edit photo from the shortcut menu.
Either way, the built-in photo editor will open. See this article to learn how to use it.
The editor does not allow you to change a user photo. You can change the picture file via the Browse () button next to the user's thumbnail image or via the Import () button on the toolbar.
If you want to delete an Active Directory photo, select a user on the Users and Contacts list and use one of the methods below:
- right-click on the user and select Remove photo from the shortcut menu;
- use the Remove () button on the toolbar;
- click the Remove () button next to the thumbnail image of your user.
When you remove a photo, the thumbnail image on the Users and Contacts list is replaced with the default blank photo avatar.
Multiple photo management - this article explains how to manage user photos collectively.