Troubleshooting CodeTwo Public Folders
This article is meant for users of CodeTwo Public Folders. This software has been discontinued. You can check the list of currently available CodeTwo products here.
Most frequent problems with CodeTwo Public Folders are caused by network problems, which make it impossible to establish a connection between the Syncing Master and client applications. Most problems can be solved by following the clues below:
- Turn off all firewalls and antiviruses.
- Regardless of the connection channel it is advised do disable all your antiviruses and firewalls for a few minutes on all computers on which you are testing our software. Such security software is often a reason CodeTwo client applications cannot connect to the Syncing Master. Sometimes security software can even prevent our applications from opening.
- But I did not set up my antivirus/firewall to block CodeTwo software.
You did not have to do this yourself. Be aware that modern security programs have built in algorithms that recognize suspicious network activity. Antivirus or firewall could decide on its own that it should start blocking CodeTwo Public Folders. Moreover, settings could have changed along with firewall or antivirus auto-update.
- Check if you are using the same and proper connection method and if you are not connected to our demo server anymore.
- In Outlook find the CodeTwo Public Folders tab, click Options and in the Syncing Master tab you will see what connection method you are using and what is the status of the connection. Be aware that "Local network only" method will not work if a workstation is outside your Local Area Network, for example if you are taking your laptop home. For that purpose you should use "Internet and local network" option. Make sure you have a proper license purchased for that first and configured the Syncing Master properly.
- Check if the same port number is used on all client apps and Syncing Master - applies to "Local network only" connection method.
- On the Syncing Master you can check the port number in tab Other, section Syncing Master, in Network Settings. Do not forget to hit Apply and OK if you change the port number.
- On the client machine, go to Outlook, CodeTwo Public Folders tab, click Options, go to Syncing Master tab, click Change, choose Local network only, click TCP port. If you apply any changes make sure you restart your Outlook.
- Make sure no other software uses the same port number as CodeTwo Public Folders - applies to "Local network only" connection method.
- This may be a difficult task, especially if you have lots of programs installed. Perhaps it will be better if you change the port used by CodeTwo Public Folders. See the next point.
- Change the port number used by CodeTwo Public Folders - applies to "Local network only" connection method.
- The port number must be changed on the Syncing Master as well as on all client applications that use "Local network only" connection method.
- On the Syncing Master you can change the port number in tab Other, section Syncing Master, in Network Settings. Do not forget to hit Apply and OK.
- On the client machine, go to Outlook, CodeTwo Public Folders tab, click Options, go to Syncing Master tab, click Change, choose Local network only, click TCP port. You need to restart Outlook upon applying any changes.
- Make sure you enabled Internet Access - applies to clients using Web license only.
- On the Syncing Master go to Internet Access tab and check if the status reads enabled. If not, you can enable it there.
- All client applications that are outside of your Local Area Network must use "Internet and local network" connection method. Make sure you configured them this way as well. On the client machine, go to Outlook, CodeTwo Public Folders tab, click Options, go to Syncing Master tab, click Change, choose "Internet and local network" and provide the Internet name you configured you Syncing Master to use. Do not forget to restart your Outlook.
- Remember that in order "Internet and local network" connection method to work you must have a valid proper type of a license.
- Make sure your mobile device are configured properly - applies to clients with mobile devices using Web license only.
- On the Syncing Master go to Outlook Access tab, Access Rights and check if you added read and/or write permissions for mobile clients.
- All mobile client applications that are outside of your Local Area Network must use "My Syncing Master" option and not "Demo Server", also direct connection method must not be used (this will only work when your mobile device is connected to WiFi in the same Local Area Network as your Syncing Master). Make sure you configured them this way as well.
- Remember that in order to use mobile clients outside of your Local Area Network you must have a valid proper type of a license.
- Re-enable the Internet Access with a new name - applies to clients using Web license only.
- In some rare cases the internet Access may not work properly after initial configuration. This may be caused, for example, by a Syncing Master name that is not unique. Disable the Internet Access, change the Syncing Master name - make sure the name is unique, so for example do not use just "office" or "syncing master", make it special, e.g. "mycompanyname server1" and enable it again. Keep in mind that you will have to reconfigure all your client applications to use the new Syncing Master name.
- Make sure the client apps use the proper name of the Syncing Master.
- Double check if the client applications use a proper Syncing Master name (in the case of "Internet and local network") or if the Syncing Master computer name or its IP address are right (in the case of "Local network only").
- Check if you configured users accounts.
- Unless you have a domain controller in your organization and workstations use domain accounts you need to create accounts within CodeTwo Public Folders for every user. Each client application must be configured to use a particular account and password.
- Check if you use the same version of all client applications and the Syncing Master.
- Both Administration Panel of the Syncing Master and the main options window of the client applications display the version number in the bottom left corner. All client applications must be in the same version as the Syncing Master. If they are not, you must update them to match the version number.
- Make sure your Internet Service Provider (ISP) does not apply any filters to your Internet connection - applies to clients using Web license only.
- Some ISPs have implemented Internet traffic monitoring and filtering features. Those are usually used to throttle traffic to/from clients who use peer-to-peer media sharing programs but there are other solutions on the market as well, for example "family" filters that are supposed to block access to pornographic, violent content or illegal activities websites. Unfortunately, such filters may also disrupt connections to our Proxy server. To check whether they are the source of your problem or not, please contact your ISP to consult on, and disable any filters that might affect your traffic. If the problem is observed only on mobile devices, prior to contacting your mobile network provider you can try running CodeTwo app on the same mobile device but with another mobile network simcard. This way you will be able to confirm the problem is related to particular mobile network.