Frequently Asked Questions - CodeTwo Office 365 Migration
Take a look at the list of Frequently Asked Questions for CodeTwo Office 365 Migration:
Why do I need this program?
Using CodeTwo Office 365 Migration you will significantly reduce the time required to successfully move the content of mailboxes from Exchange or mail from IMAP servers to Office 365. The main benefits of this migration tool are:
- Easy to use graphical interface minimizes the need for PowerShell scripts.
- Direct mailbox migrations from any Exchange edition (including 2003) to Office 365, eliminating the need for upgrades, hybrid deployments, etc.
- Enhanced IMAP migrations to Office 365. Learn more...
- Convenient reporting features facilitate troubleshooting.
Is there a free trial? What are the limitations?
Yes, there is. You can download the free trial version here.
The trial works for 30 days and allows you to migrate up to 10 items per folder (after you switch to the full version, CodeTwo Office 365 Migration will migrate the remaining items). Other than that it has all the features of the full version of the program.
How does the CodeTwo Office 365 Migration solution work?
Migrations from Exchange Server are achieved by connecting to source server(s) via a dedicated MAPI profile and to the destination server(s) via Exchange Web Services (EWS). This way CodeTwo Office 365 Migration can read the contents of mailboxes on your source server and copy them to mailboxes in Microsoft's Cloud.
To perform migrations via IMAP, the application connects to source server accounts similarly to an email client (source account credentials are required) and copies emails to target server mailboxes. Learn more about IMAP migrations...
All you have to do to prepare the migration is create and activate (e.g. by sending a test email to all) target mailboxes in your Office 365 organization, and make sure the user operating the program has domain admin privileges on both the source and the target server.
Are migrations from IMAP servers supported?
Yes, using CodeTwo Office 365 Migration you can replicate email from servers such as Google Apps, Zarafa, IBM Notes (formlerly Lotus Notes), etc., to Exchange Online. The application lets you customize and manage more aspects of IMAP mirgations than using Microsoft's native tools. Learn more...
Are migrations from hosted Exchange supported?
Yes, on the condition that IMAP4 is enabled on the source Exchange Server. Learn more...
Are there any limitations when it comes to migrating via IMAP?
Yes, there are several limitations related to using the IMAP protocol. They include migrations being limited to only email folders and the requirement to provide credentials to all user accounts that will be migrated. To learn more about IMAP migrations go to this userguide page.
What type of support do you offer for the product?
Technical support for CodeTwo Office 365 Migration is free of charge and covers all types of issues. You can contact our technicians via email or phone, 24 hours from Monday through Friday (find out more about CodeTwo support). Complex issues are resolved via remote sessions.
All technical documentation for CodeTwo Office 365 Migration is available online:
What is CodeTwo Office 365 Migration's licensing policy?
The product is licensed through use - each mailbox you start migrating automatically uses up 1 seat from your license pool.
In other words, if you had a 100 mailbox license and started migrating 60 mailboxes, your license would still allow you to migrate 40 more, personal or public, mailboxes from Exchange to Office 365.
What if I already have a license and need extra seats?
You can purchase extra seats by going to the online order form, selecting Additional licenses and proceeding to complete the order.
NOTE: In the 3rd step of the online order form you will be asked to provide the first 5 characters of the license key you wish to extend.
If you received your CodeTwo Office 365 Migration license free of charge and now want to add seats to it, please contact our sales team for assistance.
What are the prices of CodeTwo Office 365 Migration licenses?
The prices depend on the number of mailboxes a license covers. Larger license prices include a volume discount. More pricing and ordering details.
Keep in mind that CodeTwo Office 365 Migration is highly scalable, so there is no maximum number of mailboxes. If you are looking for a package with more than 1000 seats, send us a quotation request via this form.
Do I have to install the program on a server?
No, you don't. You can install CodeTwo Office 365 Migration on any machine connected to the source organization.
Does CodeTwo Office 365 Migration impose any size or speed limits?
No, our software does not introduce any new limits on a migration to the Cloud.
However, keep in mind that Office 365 comes with a number of built-in limitations for EWS migrations. The main ones are:
- 25MB-per-item limit - this means that items larger than 25MB will be skipped during a migration.
- Migration-service throttling - limits migration concurrency and service resource allocation. E.g.: the default amount of mailboxes you can migrate simultaneously is 3.
- Resource health-based throttling - present in cases of service availability issues.
Other factors that may affect the migration performance:
- Source server throttling policies and limitations. Learn how to modify Exchange Server throttling settings.
- Data type and density (e.g. a mailbox with a smaller number of large items will migrate faster than one with a larger number of small items).
- Migration server hardware.
- Source organization network.
For more, consult this TechNet article.
What is the migration speed?
A single EWS migration speed observed by Microsoft was between 0,2 and 0,5 GB per hour. However, it is possible to achieve higher migration speeds by increasing the number of concurrent migrations.
NOTE: CodeTwo Office 365 Migration does not increase or decrease the standard speed of an EWS migration.
How do I prepare for the migration?
For details on migration requirements and pre-migration steps go to this userguide page and choose your migration scenario.
Does CodeTwo Office 365 Migration migrate public folders?
Yes, it does. The migration mechanism is exactly the same as in the case of personal mailboxes: our software replicates the public folder structure and contents from the source server to the Cloud.
NOTE: The public folders in Office 365 have to be mail enabled and activated prior to the migration, e.g. by sending an email to them. Additionally, bear in mind that migrating public folders reduces your CodeTwo Office 365 Migration license by 25 users.
Is the free/busy info migrated as well?
Free/busy statuses are generated on the fly by the Exchange Availability Service based on users' calendar information. This means that, after CodeTwo Office 365 Migration copies your users' calendars to Microsoft's cloud, the Office 365 engine will take care of the rest.
Does CodeTwo Office 365 Migration affect data on the source server?
No, it doesn't. The application only reads source server data and copies it to your Office 365 organization - nothing is deleted or modified on your source server.
I want my users to still use source mailboxes after they have been migrated - can they do that?
Yes, they can. The contents of the source mailboxes are not affected in any way, so your users can use these mailboxes indefinitely without any limitations.
What is more, if after a while you decide to retire the on-premises server, just hit the Rescan button - CodeTwo Office 365 Migration will compare the contents of source and target mailboxes and update the target server side.
What do I do if I get an error...?
Consult this Knowledge Base article for troubleshooting steps.
If none of the suggestions from the article help, contact our Technical Support team.
For general technical information about CodeTwo Office 365 Migration refer to the User's Manual.
Answers to common queries can be found in the Knowledge Base.
How to upgrade to version 2.0?
To upgrade CodeTwo Office 365 Migration to version 2.0, you need to follow the steps below:
- Download a new version of the program from this website.
- If you have already started the migration process with version 1.0, stop it and close the program.
- Launch the installation file and install the update on top of the existing version. The older version will be automatically detected and upgraded. All licensing info and settings will be kept. Your migration setting will be automatically converted into a migration job*.
- Open the program and resume the migration process using the Rescan button. As the program’s cache from the older version is kept during the upgrade, no duplicates in the target environment will be created.
All users that have a licensed version of CodeTwo Office 365 Migration are free to perform the upgrade to version 2.0 at no additional cost.
* Migration job is a new feature added to the program that will help you better organize your migration process. Now you can group particular mailboxes into separate jobs and migrate them in batches. After upgrading to version 2.0, all mailboxes listed in the program will be automatically added to a newly created job with current settings preserved.
To learn more about upgrading CodeTwo Office 365 Migration to version 2.0, please go to this website.