How to globally enforce UTF-8 encoding for OWA
How to globally enforce UTF-8 encoding for OWA?
Exchange Online (Office 365):
As of July 2016 it is not possible to globally enforce a specific encoding for OWA365.
Exchange Server on-premises:
To globally enforce a specific encoding settings for all OWA users in Exchange Server on-premises you need to use the Exchange Management Shell. Follow the below steps to enable UTF-8 encoding for OWA:
- Log in using your Domain Admin account to the Exchange Server.
- Go to the Exchange Management Shell. Execute this PowerShell Cmdlet:
Set-OwaVirtualDirectory -identity "Owa (Default Web Site)" -OutboundCharset AlwaysUTF8
UTF-8 is recommended for everyone who uses national characters found in many European alphabets. Click here to read more on Microsoft Technet about other possible settings.
- Applies to: CodeTwo Email Signatures for Email Clients CodeTwo Exchange Rules 2.x, 3.x CodeTwo Exchange Rules 2007 1.x, 2.x, 3.x CodeTwo Exchange Rules 2010 1.x, 2.x CodeTwo Exchange Rules 2013 1.x CodeTwo Exchange Rules Pro 1.x
- Categories: How-To
- Last modified: 2016-07-11
- Created: 2013-12-23
- ID: 343
- Keywords: utf-8, utf8, unicode, owa, enforcing, global, exchange, EMS, powershell