How to delete a user's mailbox content
How to delete a user's mailbox content on Exchange Server or Exchange Online (Office 365)
To delete items from mailboxes on any Exchange Server on-premises you can use a free third party tool MFCMapi. Please refer to the vendor's website for details.
Additionally, in Exchange Server 2013, 2016 or in Exchange Online (Office 365) you can remove mailbox's content from within ECP, see below how to do this:
- Log in to the Exchange Control Panel (ECP)
- Go to permissions, admin roles, select Organization Management, click edit.
- Click a plus button under Roles.
- Select and add:
- Mailbox Import Export
- Mailbox Search
- Click OK, Save, close ECP. Log out from Windows and re-log in.
- Log on to the Exchange Management Shell, in the case of Exchange Online log on via PowerShell.
- (Optional) Run the below PowerShell CmdLet to check how many items you will be deleting in the next steps:
Get-MailboxFolderStatistics <mailbox-name> | Select Identity, ItemsInFolder
- Run the below PowerShell CmdLet to delete the mailbox content:
Search-Mailbox -Identity "<MailboxOrMailUserIdParameter>" -DeleteContent -force
The MailboxOrMailUserIdParameter may be provided as an alias, canonical DN, display name, distinguished name and more. Please see this TechNet article for further reference.