Diagnosing CodeTwo Migration Software
CodeTwo assistance is required with your CodeTwo Exchange Migration or CodeTwo Office 365 Migration problems or advanced configuration. You need to deliver environment description and/or diagnostic files to CodeTwo.
Please follow the steps below to provide a comprehensive diagnostics to CodeTwo Support:
- First of all, check with this article if the problem you have stumbled upon is already known.
- Take screenshots of error pop-ups or other unusual software behavior. Please make sure the error message is complete and readable - try expanding the error window so we can see the whole message on the screenshot or copy-paste the error message text.
In Windows 7 and newer, you can use Microsoft Problem Steps Recorder to conveniently document the problem.
- Describe your environment and the migration scenario:
- What is the source server? How many servers, in what version (2003, 2007, 2010, 2013) and build number?
- What is the target server?
- Exchange Online (Office 365) - what plan? Is it fully activated?
- MS Exchange Server On-Premises (or hosted, but other than Exchange Online, e.g. in Azure) - how many servers, in what version (2010, 2013, 2016) and build number?
- Is it a cross-forest and/or cross-domain migration?
It might be helpful to draw a diagram of the source and target environments' forests and any relations between them.
- If you migrate between two Exchange Servers on premises, is there a two-way trust set up between them?
- Tell us about the machine on which our software is installed:
- Is the software installed directly on the source Exchange Server or on another dedicated server or workstation?
- Is there MS Outlook present on the same machine. If so, in what version and architecture?
- What is the Windows version, it's architecture and how much RAM memory is available on that machine?
- In performance or stability cases, please also export Event Viewer log files (branches System and Applications) in .evtx format and gather necessary statistics:
- To acquire reliable results, performing a migration of only one mailbox will be the best option. Consequently, if you have been migrating multiple ones, please remove the associations between them, leaving only one pair on the list. Then, please run the migration for at least an hour.
- Connect to your Office 365 / target Exchange Server using the PowerShell and execute the following cmd-let and include the results (cmd-let obtains mailboxes statistics):
- Go to this third party website and start the Internet connection speed test, take a screenshot of the results.
- Export ALL diagnostic files of the program (Go to: Help, Log Files and then navigate up one level). Compress all folders, except for Cache directory, to a .zip file before sending them to CodeTwo). Your files are located under the following directory:
%programdata%\CodeTwo\<name of the software>
- Export all your .config files located in the main installation folder (simply copy-paste them somewhere and zip before sending to CodeTwo). By default the installation folder is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeTwo\<name of the software>
- In the case of problems with particular items migration please provide examples of failing items in .msg files or .pst archive.
We need to get an exemplary item exported from the source server as well as from the target server so we can compare their properties. When connected to Exchange on-premises please use MfcMAPI tool to export to .msg, when connected to Google Apps or Office 365 you can drag items from Outlook onto your desktop to save as .msg or see how you can export multiple items from Outlook via .pst file.
It is important to provide examples in either .msg format or in a .pst container. This is to preserve items' properties. It is also important to zip such files prior to attaching to an email. .msg files get their properties modified by Exchange Servers the email travels trough.
- Compress all files (screenshots, log files, settings) into a single .zip file.
If the total size of all attachments compressed is bigger than 15MB please consult this article on delivering big files to CodeTwo.
- Send all the above requested files and the environment description to CodeTwo.
If you have a case open with us already, it is very important to state your case number in the subject line.