Diagnosing CodeTwo Exchange Rules family software (older versions)
CodeTwo assistance is required with your CodeTwo Exchange Rules family software problems or advanced configuration.
Follow the steps below to collect all diagnostics:
This Knowledge Base article is designed to use with some older versions of CodeTwo software. If you are using version newer than the ones listed in the Applies to section (see the right pane) please refer to this article.
- First of all, take screenshots if you see error messages or anything unusual on the screen. Please make sure the error message is complete and readable - try expanding the error window so we can see the whole message on the screenshot or copy-paste the error message text.
- Unless you cannot access the program or your Transport Service does not work, please go to the program's main menu to turn on detailed logging. See the appropriate knowledge base article on how to do this:
- Perform rules execution test:
- Send a test message with a distinctive subject, for example "C2TEST no.1".
- Export the message: after sending, retrieve an email on a computer with MS Outlook, drag and drop email on your desktop, it will be saved as a .msg file. It may also be helpful if you provide the .msg copy from Sent Items folder of the sender.
- Repeat this procedure for every tested device/user/rule which does not work properly (remember about changing the number in the subject of test messages).
- Please also send one email from an account that works properly so we can compare the messages.
- Export your Event Viewer logs: we need System and Application branches logs in .evtx format compressed to .zip files.
- Gather CodeTwo software diagnostics:
- Log in using your Domain Admin account directly to the Exchange Server where you have our software installed.
- Download the script from here and decompress it to the folder of your choice. You can review the content of the script by opening it in PowerShell ISE or any text editor such as Notepad.
- Go to the Exchange Management Shell. Navigate to the folder in which you have the diagnostic script saved and execute the script with the command .\CodeTwoDiagnostics.ps1
- If you get an error that the script is not digitally signed please modify your script execution policy as per this MS knowledge base article (usually RemoteSigned permissions suffice).
- If for any reason you cannot run our diagnostic script follow these additional steps.
- Compress all files (screenshots, log files, settings, .msg examples) into a single .zip file.
If the total size of all attachments compressed is bigger than 15MB please consult this article on delivering big files to CodeTwo.
- Send all the above requested files and the problem description to CodeTwo.
If you have a case open with us already, it is very important to state your case number in the subject line.
- Applies to: CodeTwo Exchange Rules 2.x, 3.x CodeTwo Exchange Rules 2007 1.x, 2.x, 3.x CodeTwo Exchange Rules 2010 1.x, 2.x CodeTwo Exchange Rules 2013 1.x CodeTwo Exchange Rules Pro 1.x
- Categories: Troubleshooting
- Last modified: 2015-04-07
- Created: 2012-12-14
- ID: 278
- Keywords: diagnostic, diagnosing, log, logs, Exchange, rules, reporting, problems, set, files